Fall Commencement 2023 Remarks
The University of Akron Fall Commencement Ceremonies
James A. Rhodes Arena
Gary L. Miller
I am delighted to be here today to celebrate your achievements.
I am also excited to have the chance to give you some final advice before you walk away from the University of Akron.
Here are ten important and sagacious pieces of information and advice that will complete your education and make life much easier for you.
- Despite what you have heard, there is such a thing as truth. As an education person it is your obligation to seek the truth. As an educated person it is your obligation to speak the truth.
- Be optimistic. After all it is theoretically possible for the Browns to win the Super Bowl.
- If you see someone in need, help them. Civilized societies embrace a common good. This commonwealth comes from mutual respect and taking care of one another.
- Practice gratitude. No one ever does anything sign ificant without the assistance of someone else. Thank the people who help you.
- Unfortunately, you will find people in the world who dismiss you, ignore you, take advantage of you and show outright disdain for you. If you want to develop your skills at dealing with such people, get a house cat. You will have to deal with rejection every day of your life.
- If you want to persuade someone of something, the first thing you have to do is listen to them very carefully. Understanding another person's perspective -even if you disagree with that perspective -is the only way to get that person to understand what you think.
- If you can't figure out what to do try singing out loud. It will clear your mind. Of course, it may also clear the room.
- Some of you will become billionaires. When you do, please do not build space rockets. We have enough of those guys already. Buy yourself a nice car and give the rest of the Money to the University of Akron .... Hey, it was worth a shot.
- One of the special things about today is that we celebrate many long-standing traditions of higher education. In case you wondered, it is a long tradition of higher education for universities to contract with
someone to dig a massive hole in the middle of campus on the very first day of classes. We love tradition at UA.
- Remember Love is not a thing. Love is the only thing. Find love. Give love. This is the way to be happy.