This prize honors the memory of Donald A. Keister, a former chair of the Department of English and former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The essay prize will be awarded each April for an outstanding essay in literary studies written by a graduate student and chosen by a committee of English graduate literature faculty selected by the Chair of the department.
Who can enter:
Currently enrolled UA graduate students who have written an essay in literary studies for a course in the Department of English
- Submit three, non-returnable copies of an essay written in the last year.
- Include a cover letter that states for what course, during what semester, and for which professor the essay was written (if applicable).
- All submissions must be typed, double-spaced in 12-point font
- Essay length: 10-20 pages.
- Any referenced sources (not required) must conform to MLA style.
- Only one submission per person.
- No submission may be submitted for another Department of English prize or scholarship.
- Submission should be enclosed in an outer 8 1/2 x 11 envelope marked only "Keister."
- The committee's decision will be final.