The University of Akron is home to a highly regarded and fully APA accredited doctoral program in counseling psychology. Graduates are prepared for the practice of professional psychology and for academic and research positions in diverse settings. This full-time program is a offered through the Department of Psychology. It follows a scientist-practitioner model and is grounded in the humanistic tradition of counseling psychology, which emphasizes human growth, development, and an appreciation of environmental and cultural contexts. Coursework and practica are designed to provide a solid generalist foundation in counseling psychology, with an emphasis on individual counseling with late adolescents and adults. Specialized interests may be pursued through elective coursework and supplemental practica.
- Graduate school application
- Graduate School application fee
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) coursework from each institution attended
- Office reports of the Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE Subject Test for Psychology is optional)
- Current vita outlining educational and professional experiences
- Declaration of intent outlining occupational goals, interests, and commitment to program (including reasons for choosing the field of counseling psychology and The University of Akron)
- Minimum of three letters of reference attesting to success in the field and probable academic success at the doctoral level
- November 15 for Fall enrollment (only admit for fall term)
Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.
Financial Aid Information
Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.
Tuition and Fees
Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.
Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.