The University of Akron seeks to increase relevant knowledge for it stakeholders, including students, industries, governments and educational institutions. The University sees its research as a driver for finding meaningful solutions to advance the region. UA's research initiatives include:
- Research expertise in polymers and advanced materials, biomaterials and medical devices, advanced energy, computational science, and nanotechnology
- 70 new technologies disclosed each year
- A leadership role in the BioInnovation Institute in Akron
- Collaboration with industry through more than one hundred active sponsored research projects
- Entrepreneurship initiatives including the Akron Regional Change Angels (ARCHAngels) investment network that connects emerging companies to funding sources
- A technology transfer program that ranks first in Ohio in efficiency of commercializing research
- A nationally recognized research foundation (UARF) that shares its expertise with other major Ohio universities
- Collaboration with the Greater Akron Chamber to build, attract and retain high tech companies in Northeast Ohio
- A commitment to attract and graduate more students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines through partnership in Akron’s STEM-focused high school
05/01/13 - The Conquer Chiari Research Center at UA — the first of its kind — opens its doors for an open house.
04/01/13 - Akron researchers answer an age-old question, the implications of which will speed the development of a synthetic adhesive that sticks when wet.
03/19/13 - Two University of Akron startup companies receive 2013 NorTech Innovation Awards.
02/25/13 - A new microscopy technique developed right here at The University of Akron could be key to improving cancer treatments with targeted therapeutic drugs.