Research at UA
The University of Akron seeks to increase relevant knowledge for its stakeholders, including students, industries, governments and educational institutions. The University sees its research as a driver for finding meaningful solutions to advance the region. UA's research initiatives include:
- Research expertise in polymers and advanced materials, biomaterials and medical devices, advanced energy, computational science, and nanotechnology
- 70 new technologies disclosed each year
- A leadership role in the BioInnovation Institute in Akron
- Collaboration with industry through more than one hundred active sponsored research projects
- Entrepreneurship initiatives including the Akron Regional Change Angels (ARCHAngels) investment network that connects emerging companies to funding sources
- A technology transfer program that ranks first in Ohio in efficiency of commercializing research
- A nationally recognized research foundation (UARF) that shares its expertise with other major Ohio universities
- Collaboration with the Greater Akron Chamber to build, attract and retain high tech companies in Northeast Ohio
- A commitment to attract and graduate more students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines through partnership in Akron’s STEM-focused high school
Millions in state funding to support UA research
UA was the big winner in the distribution of funding from the Ohio Third Frontier Commission.
Of the $12.5 million in awards announced in October to support start-ups and commercialize technologies, University of Akron researchers and their collaborators received a combined total of more than $5 million—more than any other single organization in the state. Full story.
Art imitates life. So, too, does nature-inspired design, called biomimicry, an emerging field in which Northeast Ohio and UA are positioned to be global leaders.
UA's Wireless Communications Lab wins a $400,000 National Science Foundation grant to develop power-saving smartphone antennas inspired by the amazing design of a fly's ear.