Research at UA
The University of Akron seeks to increase relevant knowledge for its stakeholders, including students, industries, governments and educational institutions. The University sees its research as a driver for finding meaningful solutions to advance the region. UA's research initiatives include:
- Research expertise in polymers and advanced materials, biomaterials and medical devices, advanced energy, computational science, and nanotechnology
- 70 new technologies disclosed each year
- A leadership role in the BioInnovation Institute in Akron
- Collaboration with industry through more than one hundred active sponsored research projects
- Entrepreneurship initiatives including the Akron Regional Change Angels (ARCHAngels) investment network that connects emerging companies to funding sources
- A technology transfer program that ranks first in Ohio in efficiency of commercializing research
- A nationally recognized research foundation (UARF) that shares its expertise with other major Ohio universities
- Collaboration with the Greater Akron Chamber to build, attract and retain high tech companies in Northeast Ohio
- A commitment to attract and graduate more students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines through partnership in Akron’s STEM-focused high school
NASA-funded research enables a UA team to develop a material that can withstand stresses and temperature extremes, making it a candidate for use on space rovers and in other applications.
01/27/11 - U.S. Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Economic Development John Fernandez came to campus Jan. 26 to present a $1 million i6 Challenge Award to he University of Akron Research Foundation (UARF) and the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron.
02/24/11 - Creativity and innovation were honored as The University of Akron Chapter of the National Academy of Inventors inducted 60 members at its first annual reception Feb. 23 on campus at the Goodyear Polymer Center.
09/14/12 - The first recipients of the Achieving Distinction initiative will work to devise innovative solutions to regional and global challenges.