The Office of Technology Transfer
The Office of Technology Transfer serves as a point of contact for business, promoting outreach and economic development in the Akron area. The technology transfer staff coordinates invention disclosures, reviews inventions for marketability, applies for and maintains patents, provides for commercialization through local businesses, assists startup companies and arranges for the licensing of University technology and inventions to independent businesses.
The work of The University of Akron Office of Technology Transfer has gained national recognition. In connection with the efforts of OTT and the University of Akron Research Foundation, UA was:
- Ranked #1 in the country for tech transfer and licensing efficiency in 2007, when compared to U.S. universities without medical schools, according to the Association of University Technology Managers
- Named an “exemplary institution” for advanced innovation partnerships despite modest research expenditures and other challenges in a study conducted for the National Science Foundation by Innovation Associates
- Ranked #1 in patents issued per million dollars in research expenditures, 2000-2004, by the Milken Institute
- #1 in Ohio in highest rate of return per research dollar in technology commercialization, according to the Ohio Board of Regents
- Recipient of the University Economic Development Association’s 2007 Award of Excellence in Technology Commercialization
Hear the June 10, 2010 Congressional Testimony of Wayne Watkins to the U.S. House of Representatives on “From the Lab Bench to the Marketplace: Improving Technology Transfer”. To read the full text, click here.
To learn more about UA’s licensing process, visit our Patents & Licensing page.
For more information on UA's tech transfer expertise, check out this September 2007 article from Technology Transfer Tactics.
Frequently requested forms and documents:
Invention Disclosure Form
UA Research, Copyright and Patent Policy
UA Conduct and Ethics Policy