Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine (B.S./M.D.)
Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine (B.S./M.D.) Fundamentals
The University of Akron has teamed with Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) to offer this accelerated program, which enables you to earn a bachelor of science at The University of Akron and a doctor of medicine at NEOMED in six or seven years.
This program consists of two phases:
- Phase I - comprehensive undergraduate curriculum covering humanities, social studies and all basic premedical sciences.
- Phase II - medical school at NEOMED in Rootstown
- Certificate in Gerontology also available
Each year, the University admits 35 students into its highly selective B.S./M.D degree option. Only students with no college credit after graduation from high school are eligible. However, students with college credit taken as high school students are eligible to apply through the program’s special application procedure.
The B.S./M.D. program trains you in the practice of medicine at the community level with a particular emphasis given to primary care and family medicine. You may choose to continue in more specialized areas within the medical profession.
In years four, five and six of the program, you will receive instruction and practical experience in such areas as internal medicine, surgery, pathology, pediatrics and obstetrics/gynecology at one or more of NEOMED's partner hospitals.
- are innovative and interactive
- win teaching awards
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
The UA campus offers an array of research experiences.
- newly constructed, live-animal facility
- molecular biology center, including an automated DNA sequencer
- computer laboratory
At NEOMED, students receive instruction and practical experience in such areas as internal medicine, surgery, pathology, pediatrics and obstetrics/gynecology.
B.S./M.D. Student Organizations
Interact with other B.S./M.D. students and medical professionals through organizations such as:
- UA - Biology Club
- NEOMED offers a variety of student organizations, many geared to specific specialties
Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine Degree
For complete information about the restrictions and requirements to apply to this specialized accelerated program, please visit Natural Sciences (B.S./M.D.).
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.