Communication is the process of conveying information. In today's world, there are a variety of mediums to do just that, including radio, television, publications, the Internet and social media.
Six concentrations are available under our Bachelor of Arts in Communication degree:
- Organizational Communication - training and development, human resources, personnel, customer service, sales and all levels of management
- Interpersonal and Public Communication - counseling, social services, human relations, politics, law, business, industrial communication or teaching
- Media Production - media production, post production or broadcast/cable management
- News (journalism) - print, broadcast and new media
- Public Relations - corporations, small businesses, nonprofit organizations, media, government agencies, and in fields such as sports and entertainment, education, health-care and finance
- Radio and Television - broadcast radio and television stations, advertising agencies, advertising rep firms
- are innovative and interactive
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
The School of Communication offers an array of hands-on learning experiences:
- media production labs
- desktop publishing facilities
- social media lab
- television production studio
- post-production suites and multimedia classrooms
- WZIP-FM, student-run radio station serving Northeast Ohio
- Z-TV student-run television station
Through the School of Communication's Internship Program, students can work during a semester or a summer in a variety of areas, including:
- public relations
- organizational communication
- radio and television
- new media
- media production
- media copywriting
- event planning
- sports marketing
- promotional publications
- training methods
Recent placements include:
- Walt Disney World
- Akron Beacon Journal
- Cleveland Plain Dealer
- 97.5 WONE-FM Radio
- 98.1 WKDD-FM Radio
- Salvation Army
- West Side Leader
- Akron Zoo
- Akron, Boys and Girls Club of Akron
Communication Student Organizations
Interact with other communication students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Public Relations Student Society of America
- The Buchtelite (student newspaper)
- ZTV television
- The Association for Women in Communications
- Mass Media - Communication: News — B.A
- Business and Organizational Communication: PR — B.A.
- Business and Organizational Communication: Org — B.A.
- Interpersonal and Public Communication — B.A.
- Mass Media - Radio/TV — B.A.
- Mass Media - Media Production — B.A.
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.