Plastic Material Selection and Testing
Course Number: AP3205
Date: 08/18/2014 - 08/20/2014
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Akron Polymer Training Center, Akron, OH 44325-5404
SAVE $100 by taking with Plastic Part Failure Analysis.
Both courses only $2,600 USD.
Instructor: Michael Sepe
This course defines the fundamentals that determine plastic properties; short-term and long-term property evaluations, property modifications, establishing the cost/performance profile and selecting a material supplier.
- Defining the fundamentals that determine plastic properties
- Molecular weight - the foundation of polymer technology
- The relationship to viscosity
- The relationship to properties
- Methods of measurement
- New technologies that change the rules
- Methods of polymerization - addition and condensation polymers
- Effect on properties
- Effect on processing
- Polarity - Why nylon absorbs water but not gasoline
- Amorphous and semi-crystalline polymers - the one thing you must know about polymer structure
- Detecting the presence of crystalline structure
- Effects on processing
- Effects on properties
- The role of polymer blend
- Property Evaluations - Short-term
- Tensile, flexural, and compressive properties
- Impact properties - various methods of measurement
- Thermal properties
- Other properties - chemical resistance, optical, radiation resistance
- Why the data sheet properties do not work for material selection
- The behavior behind the numbers
- The role of material property databases and selection utilities
- Property Evaluations - Long-term
- Effects of temperature
- Reduction in strength and stiffness at elevated temperatures
- Dimensional stability
- Structural changes due to thermal aging
- Thermal degradation and oxidation
- Loss of ductility at reduced temperatures
- Chemical resistance - effects of temperature and time
- Creep resistance, stress relaxation, and fatigue
- Defining the mechanisms
- Data presentation
- Accelerated testing methods - advantages and pitfalls
- The fundamental equivalence of temperature and time
- Environmental stress crack resistance - the differences from chemical attack
- Radiation resistance - weathering, ultraviolet, sterilization
- Property Modifications
- Fillers and reinforcements
- Glass fibers - the long and the short of it
- Minerals - talc, mica, calcium carbonate and the new nanocomposites
- High performance fibers
- What gets used where and why
- Impact modifiers
- Stabilizers - importance to processing and part performance
- Establishing the Cost/Performance Profile
- Defining application requirements
- Matching requirements to a cost-effective material family
- Design properties versus inherent properties
- Designing for manufacturing - wall thickness, viscosity & process selection
- The role of simulation
- Selecting a Material Supplier
- Sampling versus sustained performance
- Quality systems and audits
- Technical support
- Majors versus independent compounders
- The role of distribution
- Case Studies - Successes and Failures
General Course Registration:
Download a Printable Registration Form [PDF].
Registration for a class is due three weeks prior to the scheduled class date.
All registrations must be guaranteed by check, a purchase order number or a credit card, otherwise the registration will not be processed. Checks should be made payable to "The Akron Polymer Training Center" and must include a copy of your completed registration form. COURSE FEES ARE DUE PRIOR TO ATTENDING.
All registrations whether by phone, fax or mail will be confirmed and considered binding and subject to all cancellation policies. If you do not receive a confirmation prior to the class, please call The Akron Polymer Training Center to verify your registration.
Course fee includes classroom instruction, instructional materials, parking permits, continental breakfast, lunch, beverages, and refreshment breaks. Travel and hotel accommodations are not included.
ENROLLMENT IS LIMITED AND ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS. EARLY REGISTRATION IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!
Visit our registration webpage to view our cancellation/withdrawal policies.