My research projects involve the synthesis and characterization of new compounds with application to 1) materials with novel properties, 2) the development of synthetic methodologies, and 3) the development of catalytic processes. The chemistry of both the main group elements and the transition metals is investigated. The use and development of anaerobic techniques are often part of my group's projects. Modern characterizational techniques, such as multinuclear, (examples: 15N, 29Si, 31P, 27Al and 195Pt), variable-temperature, 2D, 3D and DOSY NMR spectroscopy; MALDI and electrospray mass spectrometry; and X-ray crystallography are used to characterize new compounds. Projects are often collaborative in nature. This provides students with broader training and experience. Selected current and past areas of research include:
Carbosilane and polysilane polymers and dendrimers
Hypervalent, cationic and free radical silicon species
Phosphazene rings and polymers
Weakly coordinating anions and anion coordination
Metal-acetylide rings and three-dimensional arrays
Models for biomineralization
In-depth and up-to-date descriptions of current projects and a list of publications are available at the group web site.
- Simons; R. S.; Panzner; M. J.; Tessier; C. A.; Youngs, W. J. "Formation of a sterically crowded iridium(III)-silyl complex from the bulky terphenyl silane H3Si(C6H3-Mes2-2,6)" J. Organomet. Chem. 2003, 681, 1-4.
- Heston, A. J.; Panzner, M.; Youngs W. J.; Tessier, C. A. "Acid-base chemistry of [PCl2N]3" Phosphorus, Sulfur Silicon Rel. Elem. 2004, 179, 831-837.
- Heston, A. J.; Panzner, M.; Youngs W. J.; Tessier, C. A. "Lewis acid adducts of [PCl2N]3" Inorg. Chem. 2005, 44, 6518-6520.
- Garrison, J. C.; Panzner, M. J.; Custer, Paul D.; Dudipala V.; Rinaldi P.L; Tessier, C. A.; Youngs, W. J. "Synthesis and Characterization of a Trigonal Bipyramidal Supramolecular Cage Based Upon Rhodium and Platinum Metal Centers" Chem. Commun. 2006, 44, 4644-4646.
- Kascatan-Nebioglu, A.; Panzner, M. J.; Tessier, C. A.; Cannon, C. L.; Youngs W. J. "N-Heterocyclic carbene-silver complexes: A new class of antibiotics," Coord. Chem. Rev. 2007, 251, 884-895.
- Heston, A. J.; Banerjee, D.; Rinaldi, P. L.; Tessier, C. A "NMR characterization of the higher molecular weight byproducts formed during the synthesis of [PCl2N]3," J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. 2007, 17, 477-481. (Invited paper)
CLAIRE A. TESSIER
B.S., 1975, University of Vermont
Ph.D., 1982, State University of New York at Buffalo
Postdoctoral fellow, 1981-1982, Northwestern University
Faculty, 1982-1983, University of Rhode Island
Faculty and research associate, 1983-1990, Case Western Reserve University
Office: KNCL 204
Lab: KNCL 202