Requirements for the B.A. Degree Major in English
The Department of English urges all English majors to meet with the English Department Advisor at least once a year to discuss their progress toward the degree.
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS.
Complete General Education requirements.
COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES BACCALAUREATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS.
- You must complete at least three credits of mathematics or statistics (excluding 3450:100 Intermediate Algebra) earned in the Department of Theoretical & Applied Mathematics or the Department of Statistics.
- You must complete a minimum of 128 credits.
- You must complete a minimum of 47 semester credits of 300-400 level courses, exclusive of General Education courses and workshops.
- You must complete the second year of a foreign language.
- You must complete the requirements for the English major. These are
- (a) You must earn a minimum 2.20 GPA in all University of Akron coursework
- (b) 36 credits in English, including
- (c) each of the following courses, in which you must earn a C- or higher.
- 3300:300 Critical Reading and Writing
- 3300:301 English Literature 1
- 3300:315 Shakespeare: Early Plays OR 3300:316 Shakespeare: Mature Plays
- 3300:341 American Literature 1
- 3300:371 Introduction to Linguistics OR 3300:400 Anglo-Saxon OR 3300:470 History of the English Language
- 3300:492 Senior Seminar (not any senior seminar; only 3300:492, our capstone course)
- (d) And you must complete at least three additional courses at the 400-level. (Workshops cannot be used for this requirement.)
- (e) And you must complete enough additional electives to have at least 36 credits in English.
- *NOTE: Courses 3300:111, 3300:112, 3300:250, 3300:252, and 3300:281 DO NOT count toward the English major or minor degree requirements.
- (f) And you must satisfy the following distribution requirements. Your coursework in English must include:
- One course in world or multicultural literature outside the canon of British and American writers,
- one course in British literature after 1800,
- one course in American literature after 1865,
- one literature course in poetry,
- one literature course in fiction.
- Note that one course can fulfill multiple distribution requirements.
- (g) Finally, you must earn a minimum 2.20 gpa in all coursework in English at the University of Akron, including transfer work.
Bachelor of Arts in English
English Department Undergraduate Contacts
Dr. Mary Biddinger
Undergraduate Honors Advisor
Dr. Heather Braun
English Department Office
(English Composition queries)
English Department Events