Akron Public Schools’ Innovation Generation Scholarship
In a unique partnership, the Akron Public Schools and The University of Akron will offer a scholarship opportunity to qualified APS seniors that promises for some a tuition-free college degree. Designed to grow Akron’s next generation of innovators, the scholarship recognizes and rewards the hard work of motivated high school graduates.
Our shared goal is to create and expand a diverse Akron talent pool with a scholarship program that is based on academic preparation, performance and service to the community.
In the next generation of innovators, we will develop the creative thinking, problem-solving and team-building skills essential for success in Ohio’s 21st century economy.
How does the scholarship program work?
Students enrolled in Akron Public Schools who apply for admission to The University of Akron are automatically considered for the scholarship. After the Akron Public Schools' Board of Education approves the scholarship candidates, their names are sent to the University. The Innovation Generation Scholarships will be awarded in March.
The university will provide the district with the names of those who meet the academic requirements for the scholarship. The district will verify that the students who meet the requirements have attended APS for four consecutive years.
Who is academically qualified?
UA has developed three, broad eligibility criteria:
- 3.0 HS GPA and 27 ACT, or
- top 10 percent HS rank and 26 ACT, or
- 3.5 HS GPA and 24 ACT.
Scholarship amount and renewability
100 percent tuition and General Service Fee scholarship is renewable upon maintaining a cumulative 3.0 college GPA. (Students who earn a 2.8 to 3.0 college GPA may petition to renew the scholarship.)
The Innovation Generation Scholarship may be awarded up to eight, full-time semesters or through the receipt of a bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.
Full-time study is 12 or more credit hours a semester, but 16 credit hours per semester is recommended to graduate in four years.
How to apply
There is no scholarship application; however, applicants must apply for admission to the university.
Complete admissions materials include:
- the online admissions application,
- application fee of $45,
- HS transcript, including senior coursework in progress, and
- ACT or SAT test scores.
Students must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.
Related: UA admissions information
- Students must attend UA full-time and may pursue a bachelor's degree of their choice. Sixteen credit hours per semester is recommended to graduate in four years.
- They will be required to gain practical experience by completing an internship or a service-learning, undergraduate-research or co-op assignment as part of their bachelor's degree program.
- They must submit annually a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.
- The tuition scholarship will be reduced by any grants or other scholarships the student receives that apply to tuition and fee payments.
To be considered for the APS Innovation Generation Scholarship, students must be admitted to UA by May 1.
- The amount of all scholarships awarded to the student, plus any financial aid and/or grants received may not exceed the total cost of tuition and the General Service Fee.
- Current University of Akron students are ineligible, except for the Innovation Generation scholars previously admitted in fall 2012.