Welcome to the Department of Mathematics
Common Exam Schedule for Spring 2013
Non-common Exam Schedule for Spring 2013
Department of Mathematics
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4002
College of Arts and Sciences Building
Ms Joyce Lott
Announcements for Fall 2013
- Randy Ruchotzke, Adjunct Lecturer, also teaches at Kent State University, where he was recently awarded KSU Outstanding Teacher of the Year 2013.
- Sue Young, Senior Lecturer, and Kevin Kreider, Professor, were recently named among the Top 25 College Professors in America by BusinessInsider and RateMyProfessor.
- The Pi Mu Epsilon Department Picnic was held on Friday, 11 October at 5:30 at the Mingo Pavilion in Sand Run Metro Park.
- The Math Department Poster Session will be held on Wednesday, December 4 from 3:00 to 4:30 in the CAS Atrium.
- We have a new program: BS/MBA in Applied Mathematics and Business Administration
Mathematics is used everywhere. With it, we can create models of almost anything — complex molecules, ecosystems, or the economy. We can design new medicines and new materials, and build better communication networks and security systems. We can decode a genome and decipher its history. We can make better environmental and financial decisions.
Applied mathematicians use mathematics to solve problems in science and engineering, using pencil and paper as well as computers to set up and solve equations, and then interpreting the results. Theoretical mathematicians explore beyond the physical models, creating new mathematics by discovering underlying logical structures and geometries, and novel patterns and symmetries.
With a degree in mathematics or applied mathematics, you can work in virtually any field, in the public, academic and industrial sectors. Math majors have the skills employers want.
Math Quick Links
|Prospective Students||Information for faculty|
|Graduate Programs||Initial Placement|
|Getting a minor||General Education courses
|Getting a second major||Faculty and Staff|
What makes a great college professor?
Kevin Kreider and Susan Young teach math with humor and clarity — and that ranks them among the top 25 college professors in the nation – in a RateMyProfessors.com survey.
Mathematicians from around the world gathering at UA Oct. 20-21
The schedule will include 21 special sessions about mathematics and math education.
Math Department Poster Session
The Math Department's Eleventh Annual Poster Session will be held on Wednesday 30 November. It will feature over 40 student research projects in a variety of mathematical areas.
Professor serves on U.S. energy committee
Dr. Joseph Wilder has been reappointed to another two-year term on a U.S. Department of Energy advisory committee, where he provides expertise in methane hydrate computer simulation.