Careers Available in Nutrition and Dietetics
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics, employment of dietitians is expected to grow because of increased emphasis on disease prevention, a growing and aging population, and public interest in nutrition.
Median annual salary for a registered dietitian is $52,735.
If you choose dietetics as your career, you could find yourself doing one of the following jobs:
- Counseling clients about their diabetes and helping them control their disease with good nutrition.
- Working as part of a health care team of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists, and other health care professionals to provide complete care for hospital or long-term care patients.
- Directing a multimillion dollar foodservice operation.
- Developing and managing feeding programs for diverse populations.
- Working as a consumer affairs consultant for a restaurant or supermarket chain to help improve the nutritional quality of foods offered.
- Managing nutrition services in a health and wellness center.
These are some of many exciting job opportunities! See more at eatright.org.
Career Opportunities for Students Studying Food and Environmental Nutrition
Students graduating with a B.S. in Food and Environmental Nutrition are trained to work in a number of career settings in the food industry such as:
- Regulatory Affairs and Labeling
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance
- Research and Development
- Sales and Marketing
- Community Supported Agriculture Programs