Membership is a lifetime honor open to graduates and undergraduates who have registered for major or minor standing in psychology or for a program psychological in nature, demonstrate high standards of personal behavior, and meet the minimum requirements. Eligible applicants are elected to membership by the chapter.
- Minimum overall cumulative average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all graduate courses
- Completion of 3 semesters or 5 quarters of college courses
- Completion of 9 semester hours or 14 quarter hours of psychology courses
- Ranking in the top 35% (3.32 as of Fall 2011) of their class in general scholarship.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in both psychology classes and in cumulative grades.
- Grade requirements increase with standing.
Participation in Psi Chi events and overall involvement are also considered by the officers and will affect being accepted as a member. Participation is what sets a Psi Chi member apart from other applicants who are psychology majors with good grades.