Amanda L. Thayer, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor
Dept/Program: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Office: CAS 313
Dr. Amanda L. Thayer is an Assistant Professor of Industrial/Organizational Psychology at The University of Akron. Her research focuses on the impact of interpersonal dynamics and team composition on teamwork and team performance, with a particular emphasis on trust, cohesion, interpersonal deviance, and complex organizational systems. To investigate these topics, Dr. Thayer has utilized both qualitative and quantitative methods and conducted research in both laboratory and field settings. Additionally, she has experience designing and managing funded collaborative research efforts with government and industry sponsors, including previous work with NASA and the U.S. Army Research Institute. She earned her B.A. in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and her PhD in I/O Psychology from the University of Central Florida.
- Salas, E., Shuffler, M. L., Thayer, A. L., Bedwell, W. L., & Lazzara, E. H. (2015). Understanding and diagnosing teamwork in organizations: A scientifically based practical guide. Human Resource Management, 54, 599-622.
- Grossman, R., Thayer, A. L., Shuffler, M. L., Burke, C. S., & Salas, E. (2015). Critical social thinking: A conceptual model and insights for training. Organizational Psychology Review, 5, 99-125.
- Miloslavic, S., Wildman, J. L., & Thayer, A. L. (2014). Structuring successful global virtual teams. In Wildman, J. L., & Griffith, R. L. (Eds.). Leading global teams: Translating the multidisciplinary science to practice (pp. 67-87). New York, NY: Springer.
- Thayer, A. L., Rico, R., Salas, E., & Marlow, S. L. (2013). Teams at work. In M. C. W. Peeters, J. de Jonge, & T. W. Taris (Eds.), An introduction to contemporary work psychology (pp. 434-457). Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kramer, W. S., Thayer, A. L., & Salas, E. (2013). Goal setting in teams. In E. Locke & G. Latham (Eds.), New developments in goal setting and task performance (pp. 287-310). New York: Rutledge.
- Burke, C. S., Thayer, A. L., Grossman, R., Salas, E., DiRosa, G., & Estrada, A. (2013). Cohesion in large scale, complex systems: A focus on the role of shared knowledge. In M. A. Clark, J. A. Espinosa & Mohammed, S. (co-chairs), Team Knowledge Measurement and Representation in Large Collectives. Academy of Management Proceedings. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2013.
- Wildman, J. L., Thayer, A. L., Rosen, M. A., Salas, E., Mathieu, J. E., & Rayne, S. R. (2012). Task types and team-level attributes: Synthesis of team classification literature. Human Resource Development Review, 11, 97-129.
- Wildman, J. L., Thayer, A.L., Pavlas, D., Salas, E., Stewart, J. E., & Howse, W. (2012). Team knowledge research: Emerging trends and critical needs. Human Factors, 54, 84-111.
- Thayer, A. L., Wildman, J. L., & Salas, E. (2011). I-O psychology: We have the evidence; We just don’t use it (or care to). Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 4, 32-35.