Application and Admission Procedures
The on-campus graduate SLP program admits for fall semester only.
Please carefully read and follow the instructions below for application to our program.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS – January 1st, 2015 for admission Fall 2015
1. Undergraduate Degree: Applicants to the program must possess a bachelor's degree in speech-language pathology or complete a post-baccalaureate sequence of courses from an accredited university. Applicants must be able to submit transcripts from at least one semester of post-baccalaureate courses at the time of their application. It is acceptable for students to apply if they are taking post-bacc courses during the fall semester – however, applicants must be certain that an updated transcript is sent once grades have posted at the end of the semester.
2. GRE: The GRE is required for all applicants. We will accept either the old (prior to 8/1/11) or the revised (8/1/11 and after) general test scores. GRE scores are valid for 5 years. Official scores should be sent directly to the University of Akron (code 1829). We are not participating in the CSDCAS GRE score-reporting system this year; your official score report must be sent to our Graduate School, using the code above.
3. Applications: Our program requires two applications; the basic application to The University of Akron (Graduate School) AND the application through CSDCAS.
- Students must submit both applications in order to be considered for admission.
- The University of Akron’s Graduate School Application may be accessed from the link at the bottom of this page. This step only includes the application and fee – no supplemental documents are required here.
4. Essay: A Statement of Purpose essay must be included in the CSDCAS application. It should only be submitted through CSDCAS, and not sent directly to The University of Akron. The prompt for the essay may be found in CSDCAS’ program directory: http://www.capcsd.org/csdcas/directory.php and is also presented here:
Please describe your background, your life and in-field experiences, and your aspirations as an SLP.
The essay should be approximately 1-2 typed pages (max 5,500 characters), address the four items in the prompt, and be well-written without grammatical or spelling errors. CSDCAS allows applicants to enter different essays for different schools. Applicants are highly encouraged to personalize the essay for The University of Akron.
5. Letters of Recommendation: Our program requires three (3) letters of recommendation. All letters must be submitted through CSDCAS. Letters sent directly to our department will NOT be considered or evaluated as part of a student’s application. At least one letter must be from an in-field instructor (professor, instructor, or teaching assistant). Other letters should be from people who can attest to students’ academic and/or clinical abilities, potential to succeed in a graduate SLP program, and potential as a future clinician. Examples of recommenders include clinical supervisors, faculty in other disciplines, coaches, job supervisors, etc.
6. Resume: Information that is typically found on a resume will be entered into the CSDCAS application, in the “Extracurricular and Volunteer Activities” section. This includes work experience, volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, organizations, awards, etc. Please include detailed information for all items entered into the application. Do NOT submit a separate resume.
7. Transcripts: Official transcripts from ALL colleges/universities attended (including post-secondary) must be submitted to CSDCAS. Once CSDCAS has verified all coursework, the application will be forwarded to our school. It is not necessary to submit transcripts directly to The University of Akron.
8. Interview: Our program includes, and requires, an interview as part of the application process. Our interview day is generally held at the end of February, and is by invitation. Once the faculty admissions committee has reviewed all applications which have been submitted by the deadline, selected applicants will be invited to interview. Invited applicants will be notified via email, typically 2 weeks prior to the interview date.
Interview date for this year is Friday, February 27th, 2015.
Applicants who are not invited to interview are typically no longer under consideration for admission to our program. They will be notified via email of their admission/denial status at the time that the interview invitation decisions are made – typically in early- to mid-February.
Instructions for Application for Admission to the UA Traditional SLP Graduate Program
1. Complete and submit the CSDCAS application, following instructions on the website ("verified" by 1/1/15) – earlier completion is recommended, to ensure we receive the application from CSDCAS in a timely fashion
2. Complete and submit The University of Akron Graduate School application, with the required fee (submitted by 1/1/15)
3. Submit any updates as they occur (GRE scores, transcripts, etc.)
Apply Online (UA Graduate School)