Students from other majors must complete preliminary coursework in speech-language pathology, audiology, and speech and hearing science to be considered for UA's graduate program.
Admission to most graduate programs in speech-language pathology is highly competitive. Upon completion of the post-baccalaureate requirements a student is eligible to apply to UA's or any other graduate speech-language pathology program, however, admission is not guaranteed.
The list of courses required at UA appears below. Courses are offered once a year.
- 7700:210 Introduction to Clinical Phonetics- 4 credits
- 7700:230 Language Science and Acquisition- 4 credits
- 7700:335 Principles of Audiology- 4 credits
- 7700:365 Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing Mechanisms- 3 credits
- 7700:366 Anatomy and Physiology Lab- 1 credit
- 7700:215 Introduction to Hearing and Speech Science- 4 credits (Prereq: Intro to Clinical Phonetics)
- 7700: 321 Articulation and Phonologic Disorders-4 credits (Prereq: Intro to Clinical Phonetics)
- 7700: 422 Organic Disorders of Communication (Prereq: Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech & Hearing Mechanism)
- Must have 7700:215, 7700:321, 7700:422 and choose one of the following two:
- 7700:345 Audiologic Treatment-4 credits (prereq Principles of Audiology) or
- 7700:446 Observations and Clinical Techniques-4 credits (prereq SLPA elective)
See The America Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) website for more info on coursework. The link is below.
• At least one course in statistics.
• One course in physical sciences (chemistry, physics).
Behavioral/Social Science Coursework:
• One course in behavioral social sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health).
Guidelines Regarding Post-Baccalaureate Students’ GPA Calculation
Applies to: students who have completed their original bachelor’s degrees in a field other than SLP/A, regardless of when that degree was completed.
GPA calculation for graduate admissions:
(a) The undergraduate GPA for our formula will be calculated from the last 3 full-time undergraduate semesters that the applicant has completed plus any post-bacc credit hours.
(b) The “in-field” GPA for our formula will be calculated from whatever in-field courses the student has completed to date (generally, will be within the post-bacc program/transcript).
Students must submit transcripts from at least one semester of post-bacc courses to be considered for admission.