Students from other majors must complete coursework in speech-language pathology, audiology, and speech and hearing science to be considered for the graduate program. The list of courses required at UA appears below. Course are offered once a year.
- 7700:210 Introduction to Clinical Phonetics- 4 credits
- 7700:230 Language Science and Acquisition- 4 credits
- 7700:335 Principles of Audiology- 4 credits
- 7700:365 Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing Mechanisms- 3 credits
- 7700:366 Anatomy and Physiology Lab- 1 credit
- 7700:215 Introduction to Hearing and Speech Science- 4 credits (Prereq: Intro to Clinical Phonetics)
- 7700: 321 Articulation and Phonologic Disorders-4 credits (Prereq: Intro to Clinical Phonetics)
- 7700: 422 Organic Disorders of Communication (Prereq: Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech & Hearing Mechanism)
- Must have 7700:215, 7700:321, 7700:422 and choose one of the following two:
- 7700:345 Audiologic Treatment-4 credits (prereq Principles of Audiology) or
- 7700:446 Observations and Clinical Techniques-4 credits (prereq SLPA elective)
See the website below for more info on coursework.
In addition to the above coursework, students must meet ASHA Standard IV-A. This includes college level coursework in the following:
• At least one course in statistics.
• One course in the biological sciences (general human anatomy & physiology, biology, neuroanatomy & neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science).
• One course in physical sciences (chemistry, physics).
Behavioral/Social Science Coursework:
• One course in behavioral social sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health).
For additional information, please email Mrs. Nancy Harris.