Akron SIFE Reaches Out to the Community05/18/2010
The CBA’s chapter of Students in Free Enterprise (Akron SIFE) had a very active year as members applied business concepts in developing outreach projects aimed at improving the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.
Projects and activities for the 2009-10 academic year included:
- Investment Kidz – Members developed an interactive presentation to teach 5th graders about economics and fundamental principles of the stock market as well as other aspects of simple investments. Forty-three students from two 5th grade classes participated, interacting in a mock-market investment simulation.
- Dine and Dress for Success – The chapter partnered with a local restaurant in hosting an etiquette dinner and fashion show. Over 65 students and members of the community learned about proper etiquette for a professional business occasion. Students showcased their interview attire and had the opportunity to participate in a Q & A session with a professional recruiter. They also practiced interview questions and were critiqued by a board of business professionals.
- Entrepreneurship Fair – Akron SIFE hosted an idea fair where 17 people from the Akron community presented their business ideas to a board of community entrepreneurs who not only gave advice on how to further their efforts, but also helped put them in contact with other members and resources in the community that could assist them. A professional intellectual property attorney spoke to the group on patent law. SIFE members are currently following up with each participant to assist them in attaining success in their business venture.
- Project Jumpstart Your Future – Members worked with guidance counselors at Buchtel High School in Akron throughout the year. They made presentations to approximately 100 students, in which they provided information about college and financial aid, stressing the importance of continuing their education after high school. Members also discussed investment options and distributed information about ROTH IRAs, 529 plans, savings accounts and scholarships to help the students prepare for upcoming college expenses.
- Business Ethics Toledo Project – Akron SIFE teamed up with the University of Toledo in a business ethics competition. The group gave a 25 minute presentation to a panel of judges on the importance of Corporate Social Responsibility and their plan to implement ethical behavior in corporations within the city of Akron. Akron SIFE won second place as well as $200 to start the project.
- The Greenest Greek – The group established an annual event that has become a legacy Greek Life Award at The University of Akron. Inspiring 25 competing fraternities and sororities to prove to be the most environmentally sustainable Greek organization on campus, they created a perpetual project that continues to recycle many pounds of material, as well as promote the importance of “going green” to the rest of the community.
- Student Planners – Akron SIFE teamed up with University Directories and distributed 5,000 student planners on campus to raise awareness about the organization and provide a useful resource for students. Membership in the organization doubled from the previous year.
- Jewelry Marketing – The group worked with Hartville Coin & Jewelry in planning a marketing strategy to capitalize on high trade-in rates for used gold. They used a variety of advertising methods, including designing and marketing flyers to the public, earning $1,162 for the organization while helping to bring in 19 new customers for the jewelry store.
SIFE is an international non-profit organization that works with leaders in business and higher education to mobilize university students to make a difference in their communities while developing the skills to become socially responsible business leaders.