Transfer your IRS tax return information directly to FAFSA

Beginning February 1, 2012, students and parents who have completed an IRS tax return will be able to link to the IRS and transfer their tax return information to their FAFSA. This is a fast, easy way to apply for financial aid and will satisfy most of the student financial aid verification requirements. You may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool during the initial filing or when subsequent corrections are made to your FAFSA.

How to transfer your information

  1. Go to
  2. Log in to the student's FAFSA record
  3. Select "Make FAFSA Corrections"
  4. Navigate to the Financial Information section of the form
  5. Follow the instructions to determine if the student is eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer IRS income tax information into the student's FAFSA.


Unfortunately, the Data Retrieval Process cannot be used in the following circumstances and you will have to submit Tax Return Transcript and W2s.

  • When paper FAFSA is completed
  • Filed "married filing separately" return
  • Filed amended return
  • Filed foreign return
  • Marital status changed after December 31
  • Changes to IRS Data Retrieval information on FAFSA

Applicants who do not use FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval option or who retrieve IRS data but change it will be required to provide a Tax Return Transcript.

Copies of your 1040 tax returns will no longer be accepted.