REEMPLOYMENT PROCEDURES FOR RETIREES UNDER RULE 3359-11-15
Employees seeking reemployment after retirement should read and be familiar with the following procedures:
Please refer to Rule 3359-11-15 for complete information.
- This program is restricted to full-time University of Akron employees who are eligible to retire from an Ohio pension system.
- Individuals may be employed full- or part-time in a same or similar position without the necessity of a formal search process under the University's affirmative action plan.
- All agreements must be in writing and are subject to prior approval by Board of Trustees.
- No less than 60 days prior to reemployment, the Board will give public notice that the employee is or will be retired and is seeking employment with the University.
- No faculty or staff member who retired under an ERIP program is eligible to participate.
- The University of Akron’s group health plan will terminate on the day you retire. Coverage will resume the first of the month following reemployment date.
- For faculty:
- o Tenure or expectancy to obtain tenure terminates upon retirement
- o The faculty member is entitled to retain appropriate academic rank achieved upon retirement
The faculty or staff member must notify their supervisor in writing of the following:
- Intent to retire
- Request for re-employment under rule 3359-11-15
- Indicate whether they are requesting full- or part-time reemployment and the nature of the work
- Indicate whether they are requesting to work the first two months after retirement (forfeiting retirement system payment)
- Retirement and reemployment dates will be dependent upon University Board of Trustees meeting schedule
- The faculty or staff member must notify the University in writing at such time they do not intend to continue employment with the University
- The written request should be submitted through the outlined approval process.
- The department chair/head should forward a written notification to the appropriate Vice President/Dean that they approve the employee's request (attach copy)
- The Vice President/Dean should submit the written notification to the Senior Vice President & Provost for approval and review with the President.
- Upon receipt of the approval, Human Resources will prepare the public notice filing for presentation to the Board of Trustees
- Human Resources will prepare the reemployment agreement and Personnel Action Form for review by the Office of General Counsel.
- The official reemployment action is submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
Once your reemployment has been approved by the Board of Trustees and before you return for reemployment you must do the following:
- Complete the reemployed retire packet
- Contact Benefits Administration at X7090 to set up a retirement exit interview and reemployment orientation.