REEMPLOYMENT PROCEDURES FOR RETIREES UNDER RULE 3359-11-15
Employees seeking reemployment after retirement should read and be familiar with the following procedures:
Please refer to Rule 3359-11-15 for complete information.
- This program is restricted to full-time University of Akron employees who are eligible to retire from an Ohio pension system.
- Individuals may be employed full- or part-time in a same or similar position without the necessity of a formal search process under the University's affirmative action plan.
- All agreements must be in writing and are subject to prior approval by Board of Trustees.
- No less than 60 days prior to reemployment, the Board will give public notice that the employee is or will be retired and is seeking employment with the University.
- No faculty or staff member who retired under an ERIP program is eligible to participate.
- Reemployed faculty or staff members waive participation in The University of Akron's group health plan, if permitted by the applicable retirement system.
- For faculty:
- o Tenure or expectancy to obtain tenure terminates upon retirement
- o The faculty member is entitled to retain appropriate academic rank achieved upon retirement
The faculty or staff member must notify their supervisor in writing of the following:
- Intent to retire
- Request for re-employment under rule 3359-11-15
- Indicate whether they are requesting full- or part-time reemployment and the nature of the work
- Indicate whether they are requesting to work the first two months after retirement (forfeiting retirement system payment)
- Retirement and reemployment dates will be dependent upon University Board of Trustees meeting schedule
- The faculty or staff member must notify the University in writing at such time they do not intend to continue employment with the University
- The written request should be submitted through the outlined approval process.
- The department chair/head should forward a written notification to the appropriate Vice President/Dean that they approve the employee's request (attach copy)
- The Vice President/Dean should submit the written notification to the Senior Vice President & Provost for approval and review with the President.
- Upon receipt of the approval, Human Resources will prepare the public notice filing for presentation to the Board of Trustees
- Human Resources will prepare the reemployment agreement and Personnel Action Form for review by the Office of General Counsel.
- The official reemployment action is submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.