Talent Development and Human Resources
Part-Time Faculty Do Not
Need to Track Hours in EmpCenter
At the request of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, The University has evaluated its current practice of tracking part-time faculty clock hours for the Affordable Care Act and has determined that change is warranted.
Beginning with the Fall 2017 semester, part-time faculty will no longer be required to log their clock hours in the EmpCenter time and attendance system. Instead of logging clock hours, the University will rely on IRS guidance that allows the use of a "reasonable" method to calculate clock hours.
The maximum load hours assigned to part-time faculty members will remain at 9 credits per semester and all part-time faculty will continue to be responsible for notifying their chair of assignments in other departments.
Dance Institute Offers Employee Discount
The University of Akron’s Dance Institute offers a variety of classes for children and adults throughout the fall and spring semesters. All classes are held in Guzzetta Hall. UA employees receive a 20 percent discount. Classes for the 2017-18 school year begin today, Aug. 28.
- Recreational dance and exercise classes for adults, teens and children ages 7-12
- Storybook Dance for children ages 3-5
- Pre-Ballet for children ages 5-7
- Pre-Professional training for students ages 7 through high school
Call ext. 7949 or email email@example.com for scheduling, fee and registration information or check online:
Z-Fit Employee Wellness Program
Join Student Recreation and Wellness Services for Z-Fit, a healthy lifestyle program for faculty, staff and contract professionals from Sept. 11 to Nov. 10. Z-Fit includes two physical fitness assessments (pre and post), one 30-minute personal training session, one exercise program design, a Healthy Lifestyle tracker and a weekly email with wellness tips.
Registration is $32 for members and $94 for nonmembers (includes three-month membership). Sign up online or in the SRWS Pro Shop before Sept. 12. Please contact Angie Kirila at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 8382 for more information.
UA goes Tobacco Free
On July 1, 2017, The University of Akron will become a tobacco-free campus, in keeping with our goal of being a safe, healthy, clean, respectful and welcoming campus. The University rule is available here: www.uakron.edu/ogc/UniversityRules/pdf/20-05.10.pdf
There are resources available to assist employees with this change.
- Through IMPACT SOLUTIONS and the Employee Assistance & Work Life Program, a free QUIT CENTER is offered for employees.
- Smoking-cessation medications are available through the University’s pharmacy benefit. These medications are available with a zero co-payment for a 168-day supply. After the 168-day supply, the plan’s applicable copayment will apply.