Faculty Staff Detail
Dr. Shing-Chung "Josh" Wong
Dr. Wong began his graduate training in mechanics and mechanisms of fracture of polymer blends with and without glass fiber reinforcements at UMass Amherst, working with Shanti V. Nair and Lloyd A. Goettler. Later he joined the group of Yiu-Wing Mai, FRS, at University of Sydney on identifying the roles of maleated block copolymers as a sequence of events in toughening nylon polypropylene blends. He later pursued an academic career in Singapore, teaching at the School of Materials Science and Engineering in Nanyang Technological University.
Since 1999, Dr. Wong has graduated 11 masters, 5 PhDs and 7 postdocs. In addition to pursuing bio-inspired materials research, he has worked on mechanical behavior and functional properties of polymers, electrospinning, processing-structure-property relationships, coatings, bio- and nano-materials and composites. Dr. Wong has authored and coauthored 70 archived articles in book, journal and patent literatures. His work is widely cited with a Hirsh index ~ 22 as of 2013. One of his pioneering papers on graphite nanocomposites was cited well over 266 times. He was awarded the competitive Australian Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Australian Research Council and in 2007 he was selected as a recipient for the prestigious National Science Foundation CAREER Award.
- H. Na, P. Chen, K.T. Wan, S.-C. Wong, Q. Li, Z. Ma "Measurement of Adhesion Work of Electrospun Polymer Membrane by Shaft-Loaded Blister Test" Langmuir Vol. 28 (2012) 6677-6683 DOI: 10.1021/la300877r
- H. Na, P. Chen, S.-C. Wong, S. Hague, Q. Li "Fabrication of PVDF/PVA Microtubules by Coaxial Electrospinning" Polymer Vol. 53 (2012) 2736-2743 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.04.0
- Q. Shi, K.-T. Wan, S.-C. Wong, P. Chen, T.A. Blackledge "Do Electrospun Polymer Fibers Stick?" Langmuir, Vol. 26 (2010) 14188–14193
- W. Zheng and S. C. Wong “Electrical conductivity and dielectric properties of PMMA/expanded graphite composites” Composite Science and Technology, Vol 63 (2002) 225 – 235
- S.-C. Wong, A. Baji and S. Leng “Effect of Fiber Diameter on Tensile Properties of Electrospun Poly(e-caprolactone)” Polymer, Vol. 49 (2008) 4713-4722
- S. C. Wong and Y. W. Mai “Effect of Rubber Functionality on Microstructures and Fracture Toughness of Impact Modified Nylon 6,6/PP Blends Part I Structure-Property Relationships”, Polymer Vol. 40 (1999) 1553-1566
- S. C. Wong and Y. W. Mai “Effect of Rubber Functionality on Microstructures and Fracture Toughness of Impact Modified Nylon 6,6/PP Blends Part II Toughening Mechanisms”, Polymer Vol. 41 (2000) 5471-5483
- P. Chen and S.-C. Wong "Piezoresistive Behavior of Polymers Filled by Carbonaceous Nanoinclusions" in Physical Properties of Polymer Nanocomposites, eds. S.-C. Tjong and Y.-W. Mai Woodhead Publishing Ltd. Cambridge, UK, 2010, ISBN 978-1-84569-672-6, Chapter 16, pp. 404-427.
- S. C. Wong, Y. W. Mai and X. H. Chen “Fracture Behavior of Polymer Blends”, in Polymer Characterization Techniques and Their Applications to Blends, ed. G. P. Simon, American Chemical Society and Oxford University Press, New York, 2003, ISBN 0-8412-3818-9, Chapter 7, pp. 191-234
- A. Baji, S.-C. Wong, T.X. Liu, T. C. Li, S.T. Srivatsan “Morphological and X-ray Diffraction Studies of Crystalline Hydroxyapatite Reinforced Polycaprolactone” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, Vol 81B (2007) 343-350
Ph.D., University of Sydney (1999); M.S.M.E., University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1995); B.S., West Virginia Wesleyan College (1993)
4600:360 Engineering Analysis II
4600:260 Engineering Analysis I
4600:694:801 Deformation and Failure of Polymers and Soft Materials
4600:658:001 Mechanical Behavior of Nanostructured Materials and Composites
4600:696:008 Fundamentals of Composite Processing and Mechanics