INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
WE ARE AN ESTABLISHED LEADER
Our IP program was awarded a grade “A” rating in the Winter 2016 preLaw Magazine. It is the highest grade possible, ranking among only 28 other schools in this category. We are further ranked by US News & World Report in the top law school Best Intellectual Property Law Programs specialty rankings, of only 33 schools ranked nationally.
THE IP PROGRAM
As part of our leading intellectual property program, Akron Law has an innovative Center for Intellectual Property Law & Technology. The Center facilitates the study and advancement of IP law, strives to attract and educate current and future leaders, and works to design and implement a well-balanced ecosystem of law and technology.
Nationally respected and renowned for:
- Providing one of the most comprehensive IP programs in the country - over 20 courses in the field
- Administering an LL.M. (Master of Laws) in Intellectual Property - complete in two semesters
- Administering a joint J.D./LL.M. in Intellectual Property - complete in three years of full-time study
- Offering a Certificate in Intellectual Property - signifying completion of focused IP studies
- Offering a Non-JD Certificate in Intellectual Property - for those not seeking a JD degree, but want to learn IP
- Hosting distinguished speakers, including a highly successful annual symposium
- The IP Scholars Forum
- The Oldham Lecture Series on cutting-edge IP issues
- Annual Akron Law IP Symposium - a Midwestern IP conference leader for over 20 years
- Our Intellectual Property Advisory Council
OUR IP FACULTY AND LEADERSHIP
Daniel H. Brean, Assistant Professor of Law | Bio
Patrick H. Gaughan, Associate Professor and Executive Director, Innovation Practice Center | Bio
Ryan Holte, Professor of Law and Director, Center for Intellectual Property Law and Technology | Bio
Camilla Hrdy, Assistant Professor of Law | Bio
Jack P. Sahl, Professor of Law and Director of The Center for Professional Responsibility | Bio
Matthew J. Wilson, President, The University of Akron | Bio
Approximately one dozen adjunct professors teach specialized courses such as international patent law, patent prosecution, claim construction, complex IP litigation, and other cutting-edge courses.
The Council is comprised of approximately three dozen IP professionals and experts seeking to advance our IP curriculum, foster relationships with businesses and law firms, and assist Akron Law IP students with their careers.