New Roo Weekend | The kick-off to your Akron Experience!
Friday, Aug. 22 - Sunday, Aug. 24
Schedule of events
On Friday, students with the last names A-L check in at 5 p.m.; students with last names M-Z check in at 5:30 p.m. All students check in at InfoCision Stadium.
- 6 – 6:30 p.m. – New Roo Weekend Cookout and Kickoff 2014
- 7 p.m. – After-program events! Check them all out in the list below!
- 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. – Team Meetings in campus classrooms
- 11 – 11:45 a.m. – Succeeding in College and Life in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
Presented by Hoan Do, a student success coach, author, and competitor in NBC’s hit show, American Ninja Warrior. His engaging style and ability to share important life lessons in a way that students resonate with has earned him the Verizon Wireless Motivator Award. He has also been recognized as the best youth mentor by the International Examiner!
- 11:55 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. – Boxed lunches outside of E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
- 12:50 – 1:50 p.m. – 5 “Questions” That Can Save Someone From an Abusive and Unhealthy Relationship in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
Presented by Joshua Fredenburg, a nationally recognized speaker, best-selling author, Gen. Y television commentator, and leadership-relationship-diversity expert. Joshua is on a mission to empower at least 1 billion leaders worldwide with effective leadership, career, relationship, and success strategies that will enable them to make a positive impact in their community, nation, and world!
- 1:50 – 2:30 p.m. – Campus Safety in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
Presented by UA’s own Officer Kerry Jackson, the University of Akron Police Department will provide an introduction to campus safety. We will discuss how you can anticipate interacting with the police department during your time at UA.
- 3 – 4 p.m. – Campus Engagement & Involvement Breakout Sessions
Choose whichever two sessions interest you the most (one for the 3 p.m. time block and one for the 4:30 p.m. time block); your New Roo Weekend Leaders will be out around campus to help you locate the various sessions. All sessions are repeated at 4:30 p.m., so if one is full, try again!
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Campus Engagement & Involvement Breakout Sessions repeated
See you at an after-program event! Events begin at 5:30 p.m.; check them all out in the list below!
- 5:30 p.m. – Fraternity and Sorority Life Ice Cream Social
- 12:15 p.m. – Team Meetings in campus classrooms
- 1 – 2 p.m. – New Student Convocation in James A. Rhodes (JAR) Arena
Welcome to New Student Convocation, the University’s energetic, fun and pride-filled welcome ceremony for all new first year students! Faculty, staff, and upper-level students will celebrate the arrival of the new class, and following convocation, freshmen are officially part of the University of Akron family!
- 2 – 4 p.m. – Roo Fest in the Student Union
RooFest is the University's LARGEST involvement fair! Representatives from more than 100 registered student organizations will be in the Student Union to welcome you to campus, talk with you about their organization, and give away FREE items! Stop by to learn more about getting involved on campus and the 290+ student organizations UA has to offer! Activities will take place throughout the Student Union; join us for an afternoon of involvement, freebies, and lots of fun activities! The first 2,000 students will receive a FREE tote bag!
- 2:30 – 4 p.m. – Class Schedule Tours will be leaving every 15 minutes outside of the Student Union by the clock tower – come walk your class schedule for your first few days of class!
Take a look at the complete schedule of events for the Week of Welcome!
The weekend is exclusively for new students. But don't worry parents and guests — there will be hundreds of events in the months ahead that you can attend with your new student.
- Your Zip Card - you will be swiping in to New Roo Weekend events
- The postcard you receive in August with your team number on it
- Didn't get it? Don't worry! Just come and check in at InfoCision Stadium on Friday between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and we will get you taken care of
- A water bottle - we will have water stations set up around campus on Saturday
- Snacks - dinner is provided on Friday and lunch is provided on Saturday
- Make sure your schedule is clear from Friday, August 22 - Sunday, August 24
- Follow @NewRooWeekend on Twitter
- Sign up for Z-Alert text messaging to receive important campus updates
- Check your UA e-mail throughout the summer
- Print or write down a copy of your fall schedule
- You can also download UA Mobile, free for iPhone and Android.
Come to Simmons Hall, room 101 at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23 and we will give you your materials for the weekend.
Yes. Think of college as an investment, like buying a car. You had to learn how to drive a car, how to maintain it, how to get the most out of it. College is the same. At New Roo Weekend, we'll give you dozens of tips to help you get ahead. You'll meet new friends, faculty members and staff. Plus, you'll have some fun, too. You don't want to miss it!
Yes! We have a lot to share, and we've carefully planned each day to help prepare you to succeed academically here.
No. Students will be expected to commute to and from campus as they would for class.
No! New Roo Weekend builds upon your Advising and Registration program. We'll be sharing a lot of new information during New Roo Weekend.
Here are meeting rooms and sections for teams
New Roo Weekend 2014 | Posted Friday, Aug. 22
Students will be notified via Twitter by following @NewRooWeekend in the event that we need to change venue. If it is raining, check in for Friday evening will be at James A. Rhodes (JAR) Arena, at the same times.