New Roo Weekend | The kick-off to your Akron Experience!
WELCOME NEW STUDENTS!
2016 NEW ROO WEEKEND SCHEDULE
4:15 – 4:45 p.m. – NRW Troop Meetings
- Meet your Troop! Your first opportunity to meet the other students in your troop and your New Roo Weekend Leaders. You'll bond with your Troop, get the low-down from your New Roo Weekend Leaders, and learn about everything that's in store for you this weekend.
5:00 – 7:00 p.m. – NRW Kickoff 2016
- Get to know the entire Class of 2020 and have a blast! We're having a party on Coleman Common and every Troop will be there! WZIP will supply the tunes and entertainment, off-campus vendors will be supplying samples of snacks and beverages, and you'll get to see the #2 ranked Men's Soccer Team march to their match against Georgetown!
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. – NRW Troop Meetings
- Kickoff Day 2 of New Roo Weekend by meeting back up with your Troop. Your New Roo Weekend Leaders have some fun activities planned to help you learn more about all the great things at UA!
10:15 – 10:45 a.m. – Involvement Breakout Session #1
11:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Involvement Breakout Session #2
- Are you interested in learning more about some of the different opportunities that UA has? Now is your chance. With the Involvement Breakout Sessions, you get to pick two different offerings to attend to learn more about UA resources. Check out the entire list by downloading the Guidebook App and reserving your seat in the sessions of your choice!
11:40 a.m. – Noon – Large group icebreakers
- Get to know other Troops as you all come together to have fun and break the ice!
12:30 – 1:30 p.m. – First Year Speaker: Hoan Do
- This year's selected First Year Speaker is Hoan Do! You'll get to hear from one of the nation's most inspirational motivators as he helps prepare you for this new and exciting journey. Hoan has traveled the nation speaking at numerous venues and is excited to return to Akron to speak directly to you! Learn more about Hoan Do by reading the side panel to the right.
1:30 – 3:30 p.m. – Hop to the Lock: Fall in love with Akron
- The University of Akron is a community that is part of a larger one: the city of Akron! Thanks to a partnership with Torchbearers, you can learn about some of the great things our surrounding community has to offer at one of the best destinations in the city that is in our backyard-Lock 3! Enjoy lunch and explore some of the great parts that the city of Akron has to offer and fall in love with our community!
3:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Class Schedule Tours
- Need help finding where your classes are? Not a problem! Our New Roo Weekend Leaders will be giving tours of your class schedule. Stop by at any time to be shown where you need to go. Just bring your class schedule!
12:15 – 1:00 p.m. – NRW Troop Meetings
- It's the final day of New Roo Weekend and your final Troop meeting! You may be having lots of thoughts about starting this new and exciting journey on Monday, so your Leaders are here to answer all your questions and make you feel confident about what's in store for you!
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Roo Fest
- Did you know UA has more than 340 student organizations on campus? Don't miss the chance to meet 120+ of these groups at RooFest....UA's LARGEST involvement fair! Activities will take place throughout the Student Union; join the Department of Student Life for an afternoon of involvement, freebies, and lots of fun activities!
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Class schedule tours
- Didn't get a chance to see where your classes were at on Saturday? Our New Roo Weekend Leaders will be giving class schedule tours again on Sunday. Just bring your class schedule!
No worries! You can stop by an Add On Station at the following times to be added to a Troop:
- Thursday, August 25 - 3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Quaker Station Lobby
- Friday, August 26 - 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Leigh Hall Lobby
- Saturday, August 27 - 8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. - Leigh Hall Lobby
Think of college as an investment, like buying a car. You had to learn how to drive a car, how to maintain it, how to get the most out of it. College is the same. At New Roo Weekend, we'll give you dozens of tips to help you get ahead. You'll meet new friends, faculty members and staff. Plus, you'll have some fun, too. You don't want to miss it!
- Your Zip Card - you will be swiping in to New Roo Weekend events
- Snacks - Lunch is provided on Saturday, but you may want something for in-between sessions!
- Extra cash - As mentioned, lunch is provided on Saturday, but there may be opportunities to sign up for student groups that have membership fees or additional vendors at some events that may have something you'll want to purchase!
From the North, Taking I-77
Follow I-77 south to the Wolf Ledges/Grant Street exit. Turn left at the first light, onto Wolf Ledges, or left at the second light onto Grant Street. Both roads lead to Exchange Street on the south edge of campus. Take a right onto Exchange Street. The entrance to the South Campus Parking Deck (Lot 36) is across the street from McDonalds. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the North, Taking Route 8
Exit at Buchtel Avenue. Turn right on Buchtel Avenue. Turn left onto Spicer Street. You may enter the East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) off of Spicer Street. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the South, Taking I-77/Route 8
Follow The University of Akron exit off Route 8 marked Buchtel Avenue/Carroll Street. Turn left on to Carroll Street. The East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) will be on your right. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the West, Taking I-76
Follow I-76 eastbound and exit onto Wolf Ledges/Grant Street. Turn left at the first light onto Wolf Ledges, or left at the second light onto Grant Street. Both roads lead to Exchange Street on the south edge of campus. Take a right onto Exchange Street. The entrance to the South Campus Parking Deck (Lot 36) is across the street from McDonalds. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the East, Taking I-76
From the East, follow I-76 west into Akron. Exit to Route 8 north. The first exit off Route 8 is Buchtel/Carroll. Turn left at Carroll to reach campus. The East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) will be on your right. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
- Make sure your schedule is clear from Friday, August 26 - Sunday, August 28
- Follow @NewRooWeekend on Twitter
- Sign up for Z-Alert text messaging to receive important campus updates
- Check your UA e-mail throughout the summer
- Print or write down a copy of your fall schedule
- You can also download UA Mobile, free for iPhone and Android.
That's unfortunate! We really think New Roo Weekend is the best way to start off your Akron Experience because of the opportunities you will have to connect with both campus and other students. We understand that you may have other commitments though. We would encourage you to visit the Week of Welcome website and try to attend a number of events happening the first week. Getting off to a great start and making connections is a key to success in college and if you cannot attend New Roo Weekend, we're hopeful you will find another way to get connected!
No. Students will be expected to commute to and from campus as they would for class.
No! New Roo Weekend builds upon your Advising and Registration program. We'll be sharing a lot of new information during New Roo Weekend and it is an opportunity to connect with everyone from your incoming class, not just the few you went through your Advising and Registration day with.
The weekend is exclusively for new students. But don't worry parents and guests — there will be hundreds of events in the months ahead that you can attend with your new student.
New Roo Weekend is a rain or shine event! Some events occur outside and if the threat of weather impacts us, we will let you know of any venue location changes through your Troop Leaders and via Twitter, so make sure you follow us @NewRooWeekend. In in the event of severe weather forces us to cancel any event, we will also let you know.
All incoming freshmen for the Fall of 2016 are eligible to attend New Roo Weekend! The event is exclusively for you as a new student to The University of Akron.
New Roo Compass App
The New Roo Compass App is your handy guide to the start of your Akron Experience. Download New Roo Compass to help you navigate New Roo Weekend, your first week on campus, and your first year at The University of Akron.
First Year Speaker - Hoan Do
Being a successful student is stressful! Getting good grades, being involved on campus, finding a job…the pressures that you face can be overwhelming. Hoan Do understands this. In college, Hoan found himself overwhelmed by demanding classes, extracurricular responsibilities, and important life decisions. He was burnt out, suffered from depression, and contemplated suicide. Refusing to give up on life, Hoan decided to learn how to effectively manage stressors so that he could succeed in school and the real world.
Today, Hoan speaks across North America helping students to lower anxiety, diffuse frustration, and avoid feeling overwhelmed. Because of his speaking style and contributions, Hoan was presented with the Verizon Wireless Motivator Award.
His program, “Turn Your Stress into Success”, is filled with practical advice, interactive exercises, and LOL moments. Hoan is a graduate from Pepperdine University (CA), an acclaimed author, and competitor in NBC’s hit show, American Ninja Warrior.
Troops & Meeting Locations
Click here for a complete list of Troops and their Troop Meeting locations!
View UA's campus map to find your Troop Meeting location!
SC9 Workshop Information
If you're looking for information regarding your required SC9 workshop prior to New Roo Weekend, you can find that information here.