RESIDENCE HALL AMENITIES AND UTILITIES
Planning your living space at The University of Akron is an exciting part of the college experience. Here you’ll find everything you need to know to make your room your own. Review the following information to learn about your options and be sure you get in touch with your roommates to discuss what you’ll each be bringing to your new campus home.
Each residence hall is secure 24/7. Residents will swipe their Zip Card to get into the building.
STANDARD ROOM FURNISHINGS
Whether you will be living with one, two or three other students, UA Housing provides these basic furnishings for every student in the room:
- Bed and mattress (extra-long twin size 36" x 80")
- Desk and chair
- Closet and/or wardrobe
Each room contains these essentials:
- Recycling bin
- Smoke detector
- Overhead lighting
- Window coverings
- Ethernet/Wireless internet
- Cable TV service
- FREE laundry facilities
- Air conditioning
- Smoke-free facilities
That's right. Every hall has free laundry facilities.
Residents may bring their own refrigerator. (NOTE: Exchange APARTMENTS include a full-size refrigerator.) The maximum capacity is 5.5 cubic feet with an amperage draw of no more than 1.5.
Cable service is activated and ready to go before you move in. We provide dozens of cable television channels to the residence halls. All channels are provided as part of your in-room cable service.
RLH Movie Channel 26 offers free movies to residents. Generally the movies are first-run new releases.
INTERNET / ETHERNET SERVICE
All residential students have network access in their rooms. There is no charge for this service. The student is responsible for network connectivity hardware and software.
Unsafe or excessive electrical devices can pose a fire hazard. Please review the guidelines for electrical devices in the Residence Hall Handbook.
- Electrical outlets are not to be overloaded.
- Use of extension cords (16-gauge or less) should be kept at a minimum and never placed under carpeting or over ceiling tiles. Cords should not be wrapped around bed frames or under bedding.
- Students are required to use grounded and fused electrical outlet strips. Extension cords should be approved by Underwriters Laboratory and bear the UL mark.
- Residents may bring their own refrigerator. (NOTE: Exchange APARTMENTS include a full-size refrigerator.) The maximum capacity is 5.5 cubic feet with an amperage draw of no more than 1.5.
- Microwaves should be 800 watts or less.
- Cooking appliances in residence hall rooms are prohibited (i.e., hot plates, toaster ovens, electric skillets, BBQ grills, “George Foreman” grills and appliances with exposed heating coils).