Naomi White, MSW
Professor Naomi White joined the social work faculty in 2008. Prior to her arrival to the University of Akron, she practiced as a licensed clinical social worker in New York City.
Her field of practice included child welfare, juvenile justice, and mental health. Prior to returning to Ohio, she worked as the Program/Training Director for The Council on Child Caring Agencies (COFCCA)- a state-wide membership organization responsible for contracted child welfare, juvenile justice, and special education services in New York State.
Professor White taught as an adjunct professor in the undergraduate and graduate programs within the Schools of Social Work at New York University, Hunter and Lehman Colleges. Upon returning to Ohio, she taught sociology courses as an adjunct instructor at Cuyahoga Community College-Eastern campus.
Professor White is currently a Senior Instructor and Field Coordinator for The University of Akron School of Social Work. She is also the Treasurer for the NASW-Ohio Chapter.
- Field Education [Field Placement Disruptions; Field Success]
- Diversity of Thought
- Home-based Practice
- Strengths-based Practice
- Faith-based Practice
- Co-Presenter/Roundtable: Increasing Field Education Scholarship: Are Tenure-Track Field Coordinators the Solution?; Co-Presenter/Poster Presentation: Social Work Development of Campus-Wide Pantry: Lessons Learned. Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) 60th Annual Program Meeting Advancing Social Work Education, Tampa, FL, Oct 2014.
- Co-Presenter/Presentation: It’s What We Do: The Relationship and Student Success. 6th Annual Mentoring Conference: Impact and Effectiveness of Developmental Relationships, Albuquerque, NM, Nov 2013.
- Co-Presenter/Presentation: Cultivating the Development of the Professional Self When a Field Placement Disruption is Inevitable—Workshop. The Ninth International Interdisciplinary Conference on Clinical Supervision Adelphi University, Garden City, NY, June 2013.
- Presenter/Presentation: Diversity of Thought-A no-brainer for the social work field or is it? An intentional and uncomfortable conversation-Workshop. NASW Ohio Chapter 2014 Conference: Identity, Belonging, Collaborating: Social Work's Role in an Increasing Diverse World, Columbus, Ohio, Nov 2014.
- Co-Presenter/Presentation: A Strengths-Based Approach for Rural Field Placements: Implications for Urban Faculty Liaisons—Workshop. 38th Annual Rural Social Work Caucus National Institute on Social Work and Human Services in Rural Areas Conference, Millersville, PA, July 2013.
- Presenter: The S.W.A.P. (Social Workers Appreciating Peers) Pantry: Teaching Service Within to Practice Service Out—Webinar. Wake Up To Social Work: NASW OHIO Chapter Professional Development Series, Columbus, OH, June 2013.
- Collaborative Poster Presentation: Students Helping Students: the Impact of Social Work on Student Wellness—Poster Presentation. THE INAUGURAL Building Healthy Academic Communities National Summit, Columbus, OH, April 2013.
- Co-Presenter: Worker Safety—Workshop, Invited. Summit County Elder Abuse Prevention Coalition–16th Annual Elder Abuse Prevention Conference, Akron, OH, Sept 2013.
- Presenter: Life in the Classroom—Invited. The University of Akron–New Roo Weekend, Akron, OH, Aug 2013.
- Presenter: Does the Classroom Need to be a War Zone? Learning the Rules–Spoken and Unspoken to Cultivate a Learning Environment that Works—Workshop. Sixth Annual BLACK MALE SUMMIT, Akron, OH, April 2013.
- Presenter: Magnifying Glass look into Stress and Crisis–Presentation, Invited. Akron Summit Community Action, Inc. (ASCA), Akron, OH, Mar 2013.
- Presenter: African-Americans in the Classroom: Are There Unspoken Rules toward Academic Success?; Race and Christianity: Are they mutually exclusive? The University of Akron--Rethinking RACE Face 2 Face Conversations, Akron, OH, Feb 2013.
- White, N., Morales, S., & Wright, D. (Spring, 2014). Field Placements: Are our students with disabilities the pearls of the Schools of Social Work? Field Educator, Vol. 3.3. Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- White, N., Spence, M., Thornton, M., & Thomas, B. It’s What We Do: The Relationship and Student Success. 6th Annual Mentoring Conference: Impact and Effectiveness of Developmental Relationships, Albuquerque, NM, October 29- November 1, 2013.
- White, N. (Spring 2013). Home Visiting in the Internship. E-Field Educator, Vol. 2.3 Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- White, N., Spence, M.A., & McCarragher, T. (Fall 2011). Field Placement Disruptions: The CIA Approach. E-Field Educator, Vol. 1.1. Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/article/field-placement-disruptions-the-cia-approach/#more-345, http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- M.S.W. Columbia University
- B.A.S.W. University of Pittsburgh
- 7750: 421 Intro to Field Experience Seminar I
- 7750:422 Field Experience Seminar II
- 7750:493 Field Agency I
- 7750:494 Field Agency II
- 7750: 601/2 Foundation Practice
- 7750:603/4 Advanced Field Practicum
- 7750:480/693 Home Visits: Safety
- 7750: 480/693 Home Visits: Community
- 7750: 483 & 693 Home Visits: Effective Assessments
- 7750:401 Social Work Practice I
- 7750: 405 Social Work Practice I Skills Lab
- 7750:402 Social Work Practice II
- 7750:445 Social Policy Analysis