Jina Sang, Ph.D., MSSW
Title: Assistant Professor
Dept/Program: School of Social Work
Office: 415B, Polsky Bldg.
Dr. Jina Sang joined the UA social work faculty in 2013. Her areas of expertise focus on children and families. She has worked with children, adolescents, individuals, couples, and families as a clinical social worker in mental health settings in New York, Connecticut, and California. Prior to joining the UA faculty, she taught at the School of Social Work at University of Southern California.
Dr. Sang's primary research interests center on children’s mental health, parent-child relationships, and family stress. She has also published books on mental health and parent-child relationships in Asian countries including Korea, China, and Thailand.
- Parent-child relationships
- Children’s mental health
- Family stress
- Child maltreatment
- Kidd, L., Hartman, S., Resler, R., Sang, J., Polasky, S., & Palasik, S. (March, 2015). A poverty simulation for health care professions students. Poster presented to the Charting the Course for New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvement Conference, Akron, OH.
- Sang, J. Cederbaum, J. A., & Hurlburt, M. S. (December 3, 2014). Maternal depression, teen substance use, & father involvement. Poster presented to the Minority Health and Health Disparities Grantees’ Conference, Washington, DC.
- Sang, J. (October 14, 2014). The Raising of America: Early Childhood and the Future of Our Nation. Bright Star Books, Inc., Akron, OH.
- Sang, J. (March 13, 2014). Ethical guidelines for social workers: Social work with multicultural populations. Viewing Globally & Acting Locally. The University of Akron alumni group, Akron, OH.
- Yi, J., Kim, M. A., & Sang, J. (2016). Worries of childhood cancer survivors in young adulthood. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 21, 113-119.
- Sang, J., Cederbaum, J. A., & Hurlburt, M. S. (2014). Parentification, substance use, and sex among adolescent daughters from ethnic minority families: The moderating role of monitoring. Family Process, 53(2), 252-266.
- Mennen, F. E., Kim, K., Sang, J., & Trickett, P. K. (2010). Child neglect: Definition and identification of youth’s experiences in official reports of maltreatment. Child Abuse & Neglect, 34(9), 647-658.
- Trickett, P. K., Mennen, F. E., Kim, K., & Sang, J. (2009). Emotional abuse in a sample of multiply-maltreated, urban young adolescents: Issues of definition and identification. Child Abuse & Neglect, 33(1), 27-35.
- Ph.D. University of Southern California
- M.S.S.W. Columbia University
- B.F.A. New York University
- 7750:440 Social Work Research I
- 7750:441 Social Work Research II
- 7750:425 Social Work Ethics
- 7750:403 Social Work Practice III
- 7750:480 Childhood Behavior Disorders
- 7750:605 Social Work Practice with Small Systems
- 7750:607 Advanced Practice with Small Systems I