Students: Become a notetaker; earn money
Notetakers are students who are enrolled in the same class as the student registered with the Office of Accessibility. Notetakers simply provide their notes to the student to whom they are assigned. The Office of Accessibility will provide you with the necessary materials for notetaking such as carbon copy paper, a copy card, or instructions for uploading notes. It is very easy!
Some benefits of being a notetaker include:
- $100 on All Campus Zip Card Account per class you are assigned as a notetaker. The money will be applied at the end of the semester if all notes were provided to the student within the required time frame. This can be used to buy textbooks, food on and off campus, or anywhere zip cards are accepted.
- Priority registration access for an upcoming semester if all notes were provided to the student within the required time frame. (If you took notes in Spring, you would be eligible for priority registration when scheduling classes for the following Spring semester.)
- Enhance your resume- your participation can be indicated on resumes.
Example Resume Statement:
Notetaker (Semester and Year)
The University of Akron, Office of Accessibility
Provided detailed notes, weekly, for qualified students registered with the Office of Accessibility.
- Gain satisfaction from helping a fellow student. We’re looking for people who write legibly, summarize the main points, and have the desire to help another student.
Follow these steps to register:
Register Online through the Student Testing and Accommodation Request System (STARS) system. Log in with your UA net ID and password and select ‘Sign Up As A Notetaker’. You will need to have your complete My Akron schedule printed or open in another window so you have access to your course Course Registration Number (CRN) or “Class Nbr”. For more information about finding your CRNs, please visit Where are the Course Registration Numbers?
Register with your student ID#, username, and your UA email address.
Submit your class schedule using the CRNs for the courses in which you are volunteering.
Read and Sign Notetaker Contract
Verify that your class schedule is accurate
Once you are registered:
You will be notified by email if we have matched you with a potential notetaking assignment. To be hired for the notetaking assignment:
- Confirm the assignment via the link in the email “I agree to take notes in this class and I am still enrolled in this class.”
- Complete the Notetaker Training and Quiz by clicking on the link provided in the email. It is very easy to complete!
- Contact the student(s) for whom you will be taking notes. Their contact information will be provided in the notetaking assignment email. If a student name is not listed, this means the student wishes to remain confidential and notes will need to be uploaded or brought to our office.
- Have your instructor fill out the Instructor Verification Form and return with a copy of your notes to the Office of Accessibility, Simmons Hall Room 105.
- Sign an Electronic Invoice at the end of the semester verifying that you have provided the notes to the student(s) for the whole semester
Notetaker User Guides
A Guide to Notetaking Services (PDF)
Uploading Notes to STARS (PDF)
Reducing File Size for Uploading Notes (PDF)
Signing Notetaker Invoice (PDF)