Supply Chain/Operations Management Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) Degree
Supply Chain Management is the coordination and integration of the activities that procure materials and services, transform them into intermediate and final products, and deliver them to the customer. It involves the management of:
- the flow of materials and products
- the flow of money
- the flow of information
- relationships among the organizations comprising the supply chain
The overall goal of supply chain/operations management is to impact the organization’s bottom-line in a positive way while delivering the best services to customers at the lowest possible cost.
An undergraduate degree in Supply Chain Management will prepare you to pursue exciting careers as supply chain professionals. The degree will also prepare you for further graduate study or a certification.
Supply Chain/Operations Management Coursework
Undergraduate degrees at The University of Akron require a student to complete 128 credits. Please note that some number of electives might be needed in addition to required courses to equal 128 credits. The following are the credits required for Supply Chain/Operations Management majors:
- General education requirements (minimum of 42 credits)
- CBA core and additional business requirements (42 credits)
- Supply Chain/Operations Management major coursework (30 credits) include the following:
|Management Core (9 credits)|
|6500:302||Organizational Behavior and Leadership Skill||3|
|6500:310||Business Information Systems||3|
|Major Requirements (12 credits)|
|6500:333||Supply Chain & Operations Analysis (Fall semester)||3|
|6500:390||Supply Chain Modeling and Decision Making (Fall semester)||3|
|6500:433||Supply Chain Logistics Planning (Spring semester)||3|
|6500:476||Supply Chain Sourcing (Spring semester)||3|
|Supply Chain Electives (9 credits)|
|(Select 2 courses from) 6500:324, 325, 341, 457, 459 or 6600:475||6|
|(Select 1 course from) 6X00:3XX/4XX||3|
Our faculty periodically consult with local businesses and corporate Advisory Board members to add new content and relevance in their classes. As part of the curriculum, students have to complete a senior project for a local firm as part of a consulting team. Our classes typically include guest speakers, site visits, case studies and team-based activities. Students also gain practical professional experience through the CBA’s paid and for-credit internship and cooperative education program.
University general education requirements are offered each semester, including over the summer. CBA Core classes also are available each semester, including summer. Please note that the number of sections available is often less during the summer semester.
Courses for your major are offered both fall and spring, although every course is not offered every semester.
Fall- and spring-only courses include:Fall
- 6500:333 Supply Chain & Operations Analysis
- 6500:390 Supply Chain Modeling and Decision Making
- 6500:433 Supply Chain Logistics Planning
- 6500:476 Supply Chain Sourcing
The Supply Chain/Operations Management major is part of the Management Department. Learn about supply chain/operations students, careers, organizations that have recently hired CBA graduates, and much more on the Management Department page.
In addition to completing all required courses for their major a student must also maintain certain cumulative GPAs to graduate:
- 2.3 overall GPA in all courses
- 2.0 GPA in major courses
- 2.0 GPA in business and economics courses
- Spring Graduation – Apply by December 1
- Summer Graduation – Apply by April 1
- Fall Graduation – Apply by July 1
Resources are available to help you learn more about the school and major, determine class schedules, requirements, and progress toward you degree.
Before you apply to The University of Akron, contact our Undergraduate Recruiter to answer your questions. Current UA students who want to be admitted to a major should be sure to visit an undergraduate Academic Adviser.
Graduation Planning Summary (GPS). The GPS is a document that lists course titles and additional, supplemental information for you as a Sales Management student. When you are admitted to the CBA, you will review the GPS with your adviser, and use it in conjunction with the Degree Auditing Report System (DARS) (see below). Download your Supply Chain/Operations Management GPS.
Once you are admitted to The University of Akron, you’ll use the Degree Auditing Report System (DARS), which is an online tool you can use to view data regarding course requirements. DARS outlines your degree requirements, marks completed courses, and shows your remaining coursework.
Once you are a student, The University of Akron and the College of Business offer tutoring services for additional help in many subjects.
- The University of Akron offers free online tutorials for students to learn to use a variety of software programs, like Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Google Docs, and Springboard through Atomic Learning.
- The CBA offers tutoring on business topics.
- The main campus library has writing and math Tutoring Services.
Students are encouraged to participate in at least one of our many active, student-run organizations. Participating in an organization will enrich your college experience by providing opportunities to apply knowledge and skills gained in the classroom, and by opening doors to new friendships, networking, professional growth, and jobs. Our student organizations regularly excel in regional and national competitions. CBA management student organizations include:
- Sigma Iota Epsilon
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Society for Information Technology and E-Business (SITE)
- Supply Chain Student Association (SCSA)
You also can get involved in other CBA student organizations:General
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Graduate Business Student Association (GBSA)
- International Business Association (IBA)
- Student Speaking Association (SSA)
- Accounting Association
- Beta Alpha Psi (BAP)
- Institute for Management Accountants (IMA)
- Information Systems Audit & Control Association