Growing Business Communication Skills at the College of Business Administration
Your words matter.
Every survey of business professionals places communication at the top of the most important skills a person needs in business. To help College of Business Administration (CBA) students develop and hone this important skill, the CBA has staff to offer
- One-on-one appointments for UA students (select Business Communications from the Select Appointment Locatordropdown list) and Betsy DuWaldt as "Advisor". Meetings are in CBA 423.
- Business Communication Workshops
- Writing contests
- Online resources
- Online documents
- Online tutorials
- A Your Words Matter designation program for students to create polished e-portfolios to share with potential employers
Online Student Resources
Each semester, current CBA students have access to a Communication Resources site on the internal Springboard platform for easier access to numerous communication resources.
Some of the materials developed for students include:
- Navigating Corporate America
- Three Keys to Effective Communication
- How to Write Executive Summaries
- How to Create Effective Explanations
- How to Avoid Plagiarism
- Write Emails the Right Way
- It's All Greek to Me
- Ingredients for Great Presentations
- Developing Your Resume
- Developing an Effective Cover Letter
- How to Interview
We also hold writing contests, like the Fall 2015 Your Words Matter Writing Prize.
Students who are either majoring in business or intend to as undergraduates, or graduate students currently in a business program should think about entering the Fall 2015 writing contest. The best essays in each class (Freshman-Senior, and Graduate) will be awarded $500 for first prize and $200 for second, for a total of $3,500 available in prizes.
- Freshman First: Matthew Headland Second: Balarama Doane
- Sophomore First: Zach Kisor Second: Ryan Finnell
- Junior First: Sierra Karr
- Senior First: Stacey Horton Second: Michael Guban
- Graduate First: R. Daniel Knapp Second: Ilori Temitayo
Fall 2014 Writing Contest Winners
Fall 2013 Writing Contest
Read the winning entry from Fall 2013 contest and some of the news about the winners: