History of the College of Education
The University of Akron was once called Municipal University of Akron and offered a basic teacher preparation program. This "normal" course was a two-year course and trained students to become teachers in public education.
In 1914, the State Department of Public Instruction placed new standards for teacher training. Municipal University had to meet those new standards in order to continue preparing future teachers.
In 1915, President Kolbe and Superintendent Hotchkiss of the Akron Public Schools formed an alliance to meet the new state standards. Municipal University in cooperation with Perkins Normal School would provide students with two options. The first option gave students a B.S. degree and elementary certification from the state. The second option gave students the same degree but a choice of certification in either elementary or secondary.
After World War I the University took a closer look at its teacher preparation program and decided to formalize it. Municipal University and the Akron Board of Education changed the Perkins Normal School into the Teachers College of the Municipal University of Akron. Walter J. Bankes, previous head of Perkins Normal School in Akron, was appointed to the Deanship.
After the University gave out its first Bachelor of Education degrees in June of 1922, a master's program was begun in 1923. This program offered both a Master of Arts and a Master of Science in Education. Because of these additions, evening and summer classes began being offered, nearly doubling enrollment.
In the 1930's the University considered closing the college because of the Depression and a lack of funds. However, a renewed contract with the Akron Board of Education and the use of Spicer School and Central High School kept the college open. Then-dean Walter Bankes was replaced by Albert Spanton as Acting Dean in June of 1931.
In 1935, the Teachers College officially became the College of Education.
In 1962, the University became a state-assisted municipal university. However, recognizing the need for additional money, President Auburn and the Board of Directors began taking steps to become a full state university.
In 1951, old Knight Hall was converted into the Education Building.
In 1954, Memorial Hall, the physical education building, opened. It honored Summit County's World War II deceased. Memorial Hall was demolished in 2010.
In 1961, old Knight Hall was demolished. Excavation for the new Education Building was begun and uncovered artifacts from the original Buchtel Hall.
In 1963, the new Education Building opened; it was renamed Zook Hall in 1978, after former President George Zook.
The University of Akron became a state university on July 1, 1967.
1973 saw the Educational Resources Center established in the College of Education. This was the precursor to the current Office of Instructional Technology and Support.
In 1983, the new Health and Physical Education Building opened, named in honor of former Governor James A. Rhodes -- thus, the JAR.
In 2009, the College of Education received a $3.7 million grant from the Department of Education.
Also in 2009, the College of Education was reaccredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The College has been continuously approved by this organization since its inception in 1954.
In 2014-16, Zook Hall, the home of the College of Education will be closed to allow for a major renovation. The renovation will result in a state-of-the-art facility to enhance faculty, staff and student collaboration, and student learning. In the interim, the College has moved to the former Central-Hower High School, adjacent to campus.
Knepper, George W. (1970). New Lamps for Old: One Hundred Years of Urban Higher Education at The University of Akron. Akron, OH: Centennial Publication.
University Archival Services
Deans of the College of Education
- W. J. Bankes, M.A., 1921-1931
- Albert I. Spanton, M.A., Litt.D., 1931-1933 (Acting Dean)
- Howard R. Evans, Ph.D., 1933-1942
- Hjalmer W. Distad, Ph.D., 1942-1944 (Acting Dean)
- Howard R. Evans, Ph.D., 1944-1958
- D. J. Guzzetta, Ed.D. LL.D., D.S.Sc., L.H.D., 1958-1959 (Acting Dean)
- Chester T. McNerney, Ph.D., LL.D., 1959-1966
- H. Kenneth Barker, Ph.D., 1966-1985
- John S. Watt, Ph.D., 1985-1986 (Acting Dean)
- Constance C. Cooper, Ed.D., 1986-1988
- John S. Watt, Ph.D., 1988-1989 (Acting Dean)
- William E. Klingele, Ed.D., 1989-1996
- Rita S. Saslaw, Ph.D., 1996-1998 (Interim Dean)
- Larry G. Bradley, Ph.D., 1998-2000 (Interim Dean)
- Elizabeth J. Stroble, Ph.D., 2000-2004
- Patricia A. Nelson, Ph.D., 2004-2007
- Cynthia F. Capers, Ph.D., 2007-2009 (Interim Dean)
- Mark D. Shermis, Ph.D., 2009-2012
- Susan G. Clark, Ph.D., J.D., 2013-present (Interim Dean)