Polymer scientists at The University of Akron



This page is for you if you have already submitted your application. If you have yet to do that, go here to learn about the application process.

Here are the next steps, after you have applied.

1. Submit required documents to obtain your visa

If you have not submitted the following documents you must submit them now.

  1. Passport biographical (photo) page
  2. A bank statement or letter showing that you have enough funding to cover education and living expenses
  3. Complete the Declaration & Certification of Finances for Undergraduate Students form

Documents may be submitted as PDFs to immigration@uakron.edu.

2. Receive your I-20

You will need your I-20 to apply for your visa. Make sure you have provided your financial documents and a copy of your passport to immigration@uakron.edu.

3. Apply for a visa

  1. Before you apply for your F-1 or J-1 student visa you must submit Form I-901 pay a $200 SEVIS fee  to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  2. Schedule your visa interview by going to a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. List of U.S. embassies and consulates.
  3. Prepare for your interview. See "How to Prepare for Your Visa Appointment" on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security site.
  4. Collect documentation for your interview: Your passport, I-20, Letter of Admission, financial documents and proof of your ties to your home country. 

4. Apply for housing (Temp, On-Campus, Off-Campus)

On-campus options: We have 10 halls on campus. See details.

Off campus options: This page shows some but not all of the options available.

5. At the Port of Entry into the United States

How to prepare, documents you should carry, inspection requirements and more: What to expect on arrival to a U.S. port of entry.

6. Arrive at The University of Akron

When you arrive on campus, go first to UA's Office of Student and Scholar Services, in Room 467 of the Polsky Building on our campus (map). Street address: Polsky Building, 225 S. Main St. in downtown Akron. We are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. We close at 4:30 p.m. in the summer. Phone number: (+1) 330-972-6349.

In our office, present your passport and Form I-20, including documentation for any dependents. 

Please note: Failure to report to the school listed on your Form I-20 will be reported to the United States Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) as a violation of your immigration status.

7. Health insurance

The University of Akron requires that all international students have major medical health insurance through UA’s student health plan. When you first register for classes, the mandatory health insurance fee will be added automatically to your student account, unless you have insurance through a government sponsored scholarship, or parental/spousal employer coverage for the academic year. More about health insurance for international students. You will learn more at orientation.

8. Orientation

Orientation is required. You will receive information about the program by email.

Defer you attendance: Should you need to delay your attendance to a later date, use this form.


Contact UA's Student and Scholar Immigration Services

Campus location
Polsky Building, Room 467 (map)

Mailing address
Student and Scholar Immigration Services
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-2101

For GPS and deliveries
Student and Scholar Immigration Services
Polsky Building, Room 467
225 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44325

Hours of operation
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST
Office closes at 4:30 p.m. in the summer

Phone: (+1) 330-972-6349
Fax: (+1) 330-972-6475
Check status of I-20:
Submit proof of insurance
(current students only):

Emily Aronson, Assistant Director, Immigration, International Admissions and Scholarships
Email: era1@uakron.edu
Phone: 330-972-6296