We host the Women in Mathematics group, a community of female math faculty and students who work together to provide support and resources for women in math at The University of Akron. WIM encourages women to pursue studies and careers in mathematics by organizing events such as seminars given by female speakers. The main goal of WIM is to retain more women mathematics students at all levels, from undergraduate through graduate, and to provide them with a strong network of support.
We are home to the Ohio Nu Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, the mathematics honorary society.
The Chapter sponsors a number of annual events:
- The department picnic, held in October.
- The spring banquet and induction ceremony, held in April, in which new Pi Mu Epsilon members are inducted into the society, and departmental scholarships are awarded.
- Parties held at various times throughout the year -- movies, game-playing, and more
You may also participate in student conferences and events held at UA and around Ohio:
- The Annual Poster Session, held in December, which highlights student research projects.
- The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition is held around the country every December. For the past 25 years, the Department has entered undergraduate competitors, and several have placed quite highly in national rankings.
- CUGSR, the Conference of Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research, held on the UA campus every spring, highlights student research projects across campus
- The Ohio Section of the MAA, Mathematical Association of America, holds conferences every fall and spring at a college or university in Ohio