ANNUAL CAMPUS SAFETY AND FIRE REPORT
Missing-student notification policies and procedures
When resident students move into their residence halls, they are given the opportunity to identify a person that the University shall notify within twenty-four (24) hours of a determination by The University of Akron Police Department (UAPD) or the City of Akron Police Department (APD) that the student is missing. (Unless APD is the entity that determines that a student is missing, UAPD also will notify APD within twenty- four (24) hours of its determination that a student is missing.)
Student contact information will be kept confidential. Unless otherwise required by law, contact information only will be accessible to authorized campus officials and law enforcement personnel as part of a missing person investigation. However, should an un-emancipated student under the age of eighteen be determined as missing, in addition to notifying the designated contact person, the University is required by law to notify the custodial parent or guardian within twenty-four (24) hours of such determination.
Should anyone believe that a student has been missing for more than twenty-four (24) hours, s/he immediately should contact UAPD or a Residence Life or Student Affairs staff member, who immediately will contact UAPD. UAPD will investigate the missing student report. If the student is not located during the ensuing twenty-four (24) hours, or sooner as conditions may dictate, the University will notify APD as well as the student’s confidential contact person (and/or parent as necessary.)
The responsibility for tracking persons in Ohio who have been designated as registered sex offenders is assigned to the sheriffs of the various counties. The following websites contain information about registered sex offenders for geographic areas covered by this report.
- The Office of the Ohio Attorney General: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Home/Sex-Offender-Search
- Summit County Sheriff: http://www.sheriffalerts.com/cap_main.php?office=5398
- Wayne County Sheriff: http://www.waynecountysheriff.com/sexoffenders.htm
- Medina County Sheriff: http://www.medinasheriff.com/important_disclaimer.htm
- Holmes County Sheriff: http://www.holmescountysheriff.org/offender_list.htm
- Cuyahoga County Sheriff: http://sheriff.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/Sexual-Offender-Unit.aspx