This is a small sample of the many scholarship opportunities available to qualified communication majors. Search online for additional resources.
American Advertising Federation
• Cleveland Education Foundation Scholarship
Deadline: October 29
This scholarship is open to juniors and seniors pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a communication/marketing related major. Criteria include a minimum 3.0 GPA, full-time status, and an Ohio resident attending an Ohio college or university. A transcript, recommendations, and essay must be included with the application.
Asian American Journalists Association
• Mary Moy Quon Ing Scholarship
Deadline: May 2
This $2000 scholarship is awarded to an incoming sophomore majoring in journalism. Requirements include an essay, résumé, transcript, recommendations, and work samples.
• Vincent Chin Scholarship
Deadline: May 13
A $500 scholarship for a college student majoring in journalism. Requirements include an essay, résumé, transcript, recommendations, and work samples.
Broadcast Education Association Scholarships
Deadline: October 12
These scholarships are open to juniors and seniors at BEA member institution (includes UA) showing superior academic performance and potential as an outstanding electronic media professional. Scholarship requirements include a transcript, recommendations, and essay.
• Helen J. Sioussat/Fay Wells Award - $1250 two (2) awards- any area of broadcasting
• Walter S. Patterson Award - $1750 two (2) awards- career in radio
• Alexander M. Tanger Award - $5000 award- any area of broadcasting
• Abe Voron Award - $5000 award - any area of broadcasting
• John Bayliss Award - $1500 award - career in radio
• Richard Eaton Foundation Award - $1500 - any area of broadcasting
Charles and Lucille King Family Foundation Scholarship
Deadline: March 15
The Foundation awards up to $7000 to outstanding juniors and seniors studying television and film production who demonstrate academic excellence, financial need, and professional potential.
Chips Quinn Scholars Program for Diversity in Journalism
Deadline: October 15
This program offers training, paid internships, and a housing allowance to juniors, seniors, or recent graduates pursuing careers in journalism. It includes a 10 day orientation in Nashville, Tennessee followed by a 10 or 12 week paid internship at a participating newspaper. Requirements include a résumé, transcript, recommendation, and sample of your work.
Cleveland Association of Broadcasters Scholarship
Deadline: November 15
The Cleveland Association of Broadcasters awards three (3) $1,500 scholarships to a student who is attending an Ohio college with a major in communication, journalism, media advertising, broadcasting, or related field. Applicant must have a 3.0 or better, reside in northeast Ohio, and have junior standing.
Dombo-Fielder Communication Scholarship for Women
Deadline: April 30
This scholarship is for female graduates of a City of Akron public or parochial high school interested in studying communication at a four-year Ohio public college. It is for $1000 with the possibility of renewal for one additional year with a 3.0 GPA. A transcript, essay, and recommendation are required.
Fred Rodgers Memorial Scholarship
Deadline: February 28
Four (4) $10,000 scholarships are awarded to undergraduate and graduate students in film/television production or animation who have the goal of working in children’s media. Requirements include an essay, plan for financial support, transcript, and recommendations.
National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
• Jim McKay Memorial ScholarshipDeadline: January 31
This $10,000 scholarship is awarded to a high school senior intending to pursue a baccalaureate degree in communication with emphasis on any aspect of the television industry.
• Lower Great Lakes ChapterDeadline: February 15
Two (2) $2000 scholarships are awarded to high school seniors accepted into a four year college pursuing a career in television or television related field.
National Association of Hispanic Journalists Scholarships
Deadline: March 28These scholarships are awarded to full-time undergraduate and graduate students pursuing careers in journalism in English or Spanish language media, or both. Requirements include W-2 forms, résumé, recommendations, transcript, an essay in Spanish, autobiography, and work samples.
• Ruben Salazar Fund - $1,000 – $2,000 per student
• Ford Motor Company Fund Scholarships - up to $2,500 for students with 2.0 GPA
• Maria Elena Salinas Scholarships - up to $5,000 to a Spanish-language broadcast journalist
• Geraldo Rivera Scholarship - up to $5,000 to a college senior or graduate student
• Soledad O’Brien Scholarships - up to $5,000 per student
• Maggie Rodriguez Scholarships - up to $5,000 per student
National Press Club Scholarship for Journalism DiversityDeadline: March 1A $2000 renewable scholarship open to high school seniors planning to major in journalism. Requirements include a 3.0 GPA, writing samples, essay, recommendations, transcript, college acceptance letter, and copy of the FAFSA.
Ohio Broadcasters Scholarship Program
Deadline: March 25Two (2) $3000 scholarships are awarded to full-time students majoring in Radio/TV or Communication who are entering their third or fourth year at an Ohio college or university. A minimum 2.75 GPA is required.
Ohio Newspaper Foundation
• Harold K. Douthit Scholarship
Deadline: March 31This $1500 scholarship is awarded to a student graduated from a high school in Cuyahoga, Lorain, Huron, Erie, Wood, Geauga, Sandusky, Ottawa, or Lucas County currently enrolled in a journalism or communication program at an Ohio university. Selection criteria include a 3.0 GPA, transcript, essay, recommendations, and writing sample.
• Minority ScholarshipDeadline: March 31
A $1500 scholarship awarded to a minority high school senior planning to pursue journalism at an Ohio university. Selection criteria include a 2.5 GPA, transcript, autobiography, recommendations, and writing sample.
• University Journalism Scholarship
Deadline: March 31Three (3) $1500 scholarships will be awarded to college sophomores, juniors, or seniors enrolled at an Ohio university majoring in journalism. Selection criteria include a 2.5 GPA, transcript, autobiography, recommendations, and writing samples.
• Women’s Scholarship
Deadline: March 31This $1500 scholarship will be awarded to a male or female student who is enrolled as a junior or senior in an Ohio university majoring in journalism. Selection criteria include application, recommendation, transcript, newspaper clippings, and essay.
Public Relations Society of America
• Betsy Plank Scholarship
Deadline: June 6One (1) $2000, $1500, and $750 scholarship will be awarded to a junior or senior majoring in public relations. Selection is based on an essay and recommendations.
• Diversity Multicultural Scholarship
Deadline: May 20Two (2) $1500 scholarships will be awarded to minority students in public relations who have achieved junior standing. Criteria include a 3.0 GPA, transcript, recommendation, and essay.
• Gary Yoshimura Scholarship
Deadline: January 31This $2400 scholarship is open to PRSSA members with a 3.0 GPA. Selection criteria include a transcript, recommendation, essay, and statement of intent and financial need.
• Greater Cleveland Chapter Scholarship
Deadline: May 15Two (2) $1000 scholarships will be awarded to a college junior and a college sophomore attending a Northeast Ohio college or university and majoring in public relations or communication. Scholarship criteria include a 3.0 GPA, two writing samples, a 500 word essay, two recommendations, a transcript, and a résumé.
• John D. Graham Scholarship
Deadline: June 15One (1) $3000 and two (2) $1000 scholarships will be awarded to journalism or public relations students entering their senior year. Scholarship criteria include a recommendation, résumé, and essay.
• Lawrence G. Foster Award for Excellence in PR
Deadline: June 6This $1500 award is open to all PRSSA members. Requirements include a recommendation and essay.
• Marcia Silverman Minority Student Award
Deadline: June 15This $5000 scholarship will be awarded to a minority student entering their senior year who is majoring in public relations. Criteria include a 3.0 GPA, recommendation, résumé, and essay.
• Stephen D. Pisinski Memorial Scholarship
Deadline: June 6This $1500 scholarship will be awarded to a junior or senior majoring in public relations and a member of PRSSA. Scholarship criteria include a 3.3 GPA, transcript, résumé, writing samples, essay, and recommendations.
Radio Television Digital News Foundation Scholarships
Deadline: May 13These scholarships are open to full time college students (freshman excluded) whose career objective is electronic journalism. Students may apply for only one scholarship. Scholarship requirements include examples of journalistic skills and recommendations.
• Ed Bradley Scholarship - One (1) $10,000 award
• Lou and Carol Prato Sports Reporting Scholarship - One (1) $1000 grant
• Mike Reynolds Journalism Scholarship - One (1) $1000 award
• Presidents Scholarship - Two (2) $1000 awards
• Carole Simpson Scholarship - One (1) $2000 award
Society of Broadcast Engineers Scholarships
Deadline: July 1These scholarships range from $1000 to $3000 and are open to students interested in broadcast engineering. Requirements include an essay, autobiography, and transcript.
• Ennes or Greenberg Scholarships - career interest in technical aspects of broadcasting
• Youth Scholarship - high school seniors interested in a career in broadcast engineering
University of Akron scholarships
See our scholarships and financial aid page. Additional opportunities:
- Honors College scholarships
- Osher Foundation Reentry Scholarship for adult learners between 25 and 50 years of age who have been away from school for a minimum of five years, are currently a full time student, and have completed at least one semester at UA with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Verna Trushel Displaced Homemakers' Scholarship. Deadline: March 15. This scholarship assists persons forced to seek paid employment to support themselves and their dependents. Candidates must have completed 30 credits with a 2.2 GPA.