Meet with Your Academic Adviser
Schedule an Advising Appointment
You can make a 30-minute appointment with your academic adviser by calling the BCAS Academic Advising Office at (330) 972-7880. The BCAS Academic Advising Office is located on the first floor in the College of Arts and Sciences building.
30-minute appointments are typically available Monday through Friday with the first appointment starting at 11am and final appointment starting at 4:30pm.
If you are 15 or more minutes late to your appointment, the academic adviser will determine if you need to reschedule. If you visit the office the same day without an appointment, you may attempt to schedule an appointment with your academic adviser for later that day. Appointments are strongly encouraged so that you can meet with your academic adviser. Availability of advisers does change during peak seasons – registration and the beginning of the semester.
Students who have a quick question can visit during walk-in hours. During these times, you cannot request your academic adviser and will meet with whichever adviser is available. 15-minute walk-in sessions are typically available Monday through Friday 9am-11am (last walk-in at 10:45am).
If you visit the office without an appointment and not during walk-in times, you may attempt to schedule an appointment with your academic adviser for later that day. Appointments are strongly encouraged so that you can meet with your academic adviser. Availability of advisers does change during peak seasons – registration and the beginning of the semester.
When you meet with your adviser, you should prepared to the meeting by first reviewing your Degree Audit in DARS. To do so,
- Log into My Akron.
- Select the tab for Students.
- Click on DARS logo - this will open the DARS “Audit Request” screen.
- To run your current academic program (major) of instruction, click the “run” button.
- To check your progress in a different academic program (major) of instruction, select the “second choice” to run a different major or minor. From the drop down boxes select the chosen degree, major or minor.
- Scroll down the screen and click on “Submit a New Audit” and a new window will open with the DARS report.
Note, Once admitted to the department of their major, students have two advisers: a faculty adviser in their major field of study (referred to as a faculty mentor) and a college adviser.