Schedule an Advising Appointment with Your Academic Adviser
You can make a 30-minute appointment with your academic adviser by calling the BCAS Academic Advising Office at (330) 972-7880. The BCAS Academic Advising Office is located on the first floor in the College of Arts and Sciences building.
30-minute appointments are typically available:
- Monday through Friday from 11am to 5pm (first appointment starting at 11am and final appointment starting at 4:30pm),
- Monday through Friday at 8:30am (limited availability), and
- Monday through Thursday at 5pm (limited availability).
Students who have a quick question can visit during walk-in hours. During these times, you cannot request your academic adviser and will meet with whichever adviser is available. 15-minute walk-in sessions are typically available Monday through Friday 9am-11am (last walk-in at 10:45am).
Due to New Student Orientation, walk-ins will not be available on:
Monday, December 15, 2014
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Thursday, January 8, 2015
If you visit the office the same day without an appointment nor during walk-in times; you may attempt to schedule an appointment with your academic adviser for later that day. Appointments are strongly encouraged so that you can meet with your academic adviser. Availability of advisers does change during peak seasons – registration and the beginning of the semester.
After scheduling your appointment, it is necessary that you come prepared by first reviewing your Degree Audit in DARS. To do so,
- Log into My Akron (formerly Zipline).
- Select the tab for Students.
- Click on DARS logo - this will open the DARS “Audit Request” screen.
- To run your current academic program (major) of instruction, click the “run” button.
- To check your progress in a different academic program (major) of instruction, select the “second choice” to run a different major or minor. From the drop down boxes select the chosen degree, major or minor.
- Scroll down the screen and click on “Submit a New Audit” and a new window will open with the DARS report.
Once admitted to the department of their major, students have two advisers: a faculty adviser in their major field of study (referred to as a faculty mentor) and a college adviser.