Evening with the Accountants
Evening with the Accountants (EWA) is the annual professional outreach and recruitment event held at the Quaker Station and hosted by the George W. Daverio School of Accountancy. Representatives from about 40 employers arrive at the Station ready to meet and informally interview about 200 students. Employers advertise open internship (or employment) opportunities through the University’s Career Center in advance of the event, which students sort through and review online. In the weeks leading up to the event, students will also be preparing for EWA by working with the Career Center and our Junior Advisory Board (JAB) to learn to create professional resumes and effective cover letters. Workshops and mock interviews are also held to teach students about appropriate business attire and good interviewing etiquette.
Our highly motivated accounting students seek internships in order to develop and strengthen their accounting and business knowledge, skills and abilities. Interns also gain valuable insight into the accounting profession and learn about various opportunities in the accounting field. Employers who have made use of the internship program routinely report that it has been a fulfilling and highly beneficial experience for their organizations.
Our interns normally work full-time for 10 to 16 weeks during either the Spring or Summer terms. Though we do not currently have a fall internship program, we would be delighted to consider fall internships when available. Interns normally receive three credits that count as a senior-level elective in the BS Accounting program. Thus, it is important that their internship responsibilities be comparable to those given to entry-level staff accountants. The internship experience is highly meaningful and significant for us and our students; it contributes to developing a well-rounded accounting graduate; and it assures that students develop pride in their employers and in the accounting profession. The hourly rate earned by accounting interns have generally ranged from $15.00 to $25.00 and averaged about $19.00. Participating employers routinely say that the program proved to be fulfilling and highly beneficial to their organizations.
Interviews will be conducted on campus from September 28 to October 9, 2015 in Simmons Hall, Room 301. In addition to interview week, we would be very grateful if you could note and observe following important dates:
- September 11. Deadline for posting your position(s) in CareerLink, the University’s web-based career management system. We would like each employer to post positions in that site in order to reach all our students.
- September 15. Evening With the Accountants (EWA 2015)at Quaker Square Station from 4:00 p.m to 7:00 p.m. In preparing for the fall recruitment season we encourage you to participate in EWA 2015. Approximately 200 students and 40 employers participate each year. Cost for four representatives to attend EWA 2015 is $115. Questions regarding this event should be directed to Jacklyn Dean in the School of Accountancy at 330-972-7588 or email@example.com.
- September 25. Deadline for selection of candidates you wish to interview on campus.
- October 14. Common deadline established in partnership with accounting program chairs from Cleveland State, Kent State and John Carroll for firms to offer positions to students. For fall 2015, we are requesting that students receive offers no earlier than October 14.
- October 19. Suggested first day for students to accept offers. Please consider providing students with at least five days to make a decision on offers they receive—i.e., on or after October 21.
To post your internship position(s) and schedule your on campus interview date, you must access CareerLink, the University’s online job system. If you need additional assistance or information regarding on campus interviews, please contact Diane Tindall at 330-972-5467.
We look forward to seeing you on campus this fall. On behalf of our students, faculty and staff, thank you for your support and contribution to our programs.