Slots are limited and demand is high. Make sure to be in CBA 106 no later than 4:30 p.m.

Free tax assistance for those earning less than $54,000

The George W. Daverio School of Accountancy is offering a Volunteer Income-Tax Assistance Program (VITA) Program for members of the greater Akron community who would like assistance preparing their tax returns.

The program is free to all members of the public who earn $54,000 or less. Persons who do not satisfy all eligibility requirements cannot be helped through this program. The school strongly encourages people eligible for the earned income credit and full time students to participate.

According to the IRS, “the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for certain people who work and don't earn high incomes. A tax credit usually means more money in your pocket; the EITC can reduce the amount of tax you owe and you may also get a refund.” Most families with children who earn less than $54,000 may qualify for EITC. Thresholds for couples without children and for single individuals are lower. Self-employed tax payers and members of the military are also accommodated as long as the income requirements are met.

How it works

A team of IRS-certified volunteers prepare the tax returns and a program coordinator reviews each tax return.

The program coordinators are Melanie McCoskey, Ph.D., CPA and Andrew Bernat JD/MTax, CPA. Additionally, the Faculty Advisory Council, comprising Julianne Jones JD/MTax, CPA, Doron Narotzki JD, LLM, SJD and Sarah Hinchliffe LLM, will provide feedback and advice for the effective operation of the VITA program.

Volunteers include MS Accounting, MTax, and BS Accounting students in the George W. Daverio School of Accountancy.

The School of Accountancy has coordinated efforts with AARP to additionally offer the VITA/TCE program on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The coordinator for the AARP Partnership Site is James Oziomek joziomek@uakron.edu. All volunteers for this site will satisfy the baseline qualification for participation in this IRS-sponsored service.

What to bring

Please bring the following items to the VITA site to have your tax returns prepared:

  • Proof of identification (Picture ID)
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social    Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • If you acquired health insurance via the Marketplace - Form 1095-A and the      Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Any other tax documents needed to accurately complete your return
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number   (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer   Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

    If you do not have a Social Security Number, an ITIN please bring your SSA denial letter (if applicable) and a current form of photo identification.


    We have two locations—(1) the Main Location, which operates only on Saturdays and accepts only walk-ins and the AARP Partnership Site, which opens on Wednesdays and Thursdays and requires an appointment.

    The Main Location:

    The location of the main VITA program is the College of Business Administration Building, Room 106.

    VITA services are offered from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays during the tax season, beginning January 28 and ending April 15. There will be no VITA service available on Saturday, April 1 due to spring break.

    No appointments are needed for the main VITA location. Taxpayers will be helped on a first-come-first served basis. Please call 330-972-7586 for further information.

    No Appointments needed for the Saturday VITA clinic:


    The AARP Partnership Site:

    The AARP Partnership Site is in Polsky Hall, Room 550N.

    The AARP Partnership Site starts on February 1 and ends April 13. That site is open only on Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

    Appointments are required for the AARP Partnership Site. To make an appointment, visit the VITA registration page. The last appointment for each day will be one hour prior to the stated closing time.

    You should contact Danielle Shaffer for further information about VITA---Danielle Shaffer (dks20@zips.uakron.edu,330-972-7586).

    About the School of Accountancy

    The George W. Daverio School of Accountancy offers AACSB Accredited programs with a long and outstanding history of preparing students to become competent and responsible accounting professionals and business leaders. AACSB is the gold standard for Business and Accounting Accreditation. We offer BS Accounting, MS Accounting and Master of Taxation degrees. Our graduates are highly recruited by all the major corporations and CPA firms in Ohio. Our renowned Master of Taxation (MTax) program is the only such program offered by an AACSB accredited accounting program in the State of Ohio. We offer the only online Master of Taxation degree with an international emphasis in the USA The Daverio School also teams up with the University of Akron Law School to offer Joint JD/MTax and Joint JD/MSA (Financial Forensics) degrees.