The curriculum has been designed to follow the guidelines and recommendations of the Association for Computing Machinery for Master's Programs in Computer Science. Most full-time degree candidates admitted into the program will complete the degree requirements in two years. The thesis option requires 30 semester hours of graduate work while the non-thesis option requires 39. With prior consent, up to 6 credits of approved graduate-level coursework outside the department may be substituted for elective courses in both the thesis and non-thesis options. The grade point average of all Computer Science courses and pre-approved electives taken at The University of Akron must not be less than 3.0.
Core Courses (required for all students):
- 3460:535 Algorithms or
- 3460:635 Advanced Algorithms
- 3460:601 Research Methodology (previously numbered 3460:598)
- Two courses from Software, Languages and Systems: 3460:626, 630, 641, 653, 655, 665, 677, and 680.
- Two courses from Applications: 3460: 645, 658, 660, and 676
Thesis Option (30 credits of graduate work)
24 credits in approved coursework, at least 15 credits of which must be taken at the 600 level. In addition, 3 credits in 3460:698 Master's Research and 3 credits in 3460:699 Master's Thesis. The thesis must be of publishable quality and must be successfully presented at a public defense moderated by three full time Graduate Faculty (two of which must be from Computer Science).
Non-thesis Option (39 credits of graduate work)
39 credits in approved coursework, at least 21 credits of which must be taken at the 600 level.
A note on electives
If consent from the Computer Science Department is received before enrolling, up to three credits of approved graduate-level work outside the department may be substituted for elective courses in both the thesis and non-thesis options for the masters programs in Computer Science.
Courses which have been approved previously (no prior consent is needed):
- 3450:510 Advanced Linear Algebra
- 3450:515 Combinatorics and Graph Theory
- 3450:527 Applied Numerical Methods I
- 3450:528 Applied Numerical Methods II
- 3450:530 Numerical Solutions for Partial Differential Equations
- 3450:627 Advanced Numerical Analysis I
- 3450:628 Advanced Numerical Analysis II
- 3450:635 Optimization
- 3450:636 Advanced Combinatorics and Graph Theory
- 4450:510 Embedded Scientific Computing
- 4450:515 System Simulation
- 4450:520 Computer System Design
- 4450:522 Embedded System Interfacing
- 4450:527 Computer Networks
- 4450:540 Digital Signal Processing
- 4450:562 Analog Integrated Circuit Design
- 4450:565 Programmable Logic
- 4450:567 VLSI Circuits and Design
- 3350:505 Geographic Information Systems
- 3350:507 Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- 3470:580 Statistical Data Management
- 4800:520 BME Signal and Image Processing
- 6500:601 Business Analytics and Information Strategy
- 7100:589 Special Topics in Studio Art: Game Design