News: Volunteers sought for FIRST Lego League Tournament
Volunteers sought for FIRST Lego League Tournament10/28/2013
FIRST LEGO League (FLL)
Northeast Ohio District Tournament
at The University of Akron
JANUARY 11-12, 2014
What is FLL?
FLL is a multidisciplinary program that combines engineering, computer programming, problem-solving, researching, presenting and teamwork into an intense 8-week period. This year's challenge is called Nature's Fury.
Teams of students ages 9–14 build and program a robot to complete a number of tasks on a competition table in a 2.5 minute robot round. Teams compete in a sports-like environment where spectators cheer their successes. Teams also meet with Robot Design Judges, who evaluate their robot design, programming and their problem-solving strategies; Project Judges, who look at their research project, solution and outreach; and Core Values Judges, who evaluate how well the group functioned as a team and incorporated the values of FIRST.
We NEED your help!
This amazing event needs people like you! Volunteers that represent the distinction of The University of Akron are an essential part of this event.
If you are a student or faculty at The University of Akron and would like to represent UA while making a difference in the life of a young person, please consider volunteering. There are many opportunities that are available. Training will begin on November 3.
- Referees carefully watch the actions of one team and robot during each round at their table, apply the rules consistently and accurately, record scores on Scoring Sheets, confirm the score sheet with the team and bring the sheets to the scorekeeper after each match or hand them to the score runner.
- Robot Design Judges should have some programming and design experience.
- Project Judges should have some background in the science behind the challenge theme. The theme for this year is extreme weather.
- Core Value Judges should have experience in working in organizational behavior. Teachers and coaches make great Core Value judges.
- General Volunteers provide assistance in the following ways/areas: time keeping, field attendants, team queuer, pit crew (including pit managers and pit runners), information area, escorts, and registration area.
Volunteer times differ based on what you volunteer for, so any and all availability during that time is helpful. Any volunteer time is appreciated so don’t hesitate if you are unsure of time constraints. We can still use you!
If you are interested in volunteering, you can sign up on the Judge/Referee Registration form.
If you have questions, please contact Karen Plaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.