Are you a current student who is looking for a part-time position or volunteer experience in an education-related field? Are you an alumnus who is searching for a full-time position in teaching, administration, or related field?
We want to help you in your quest! Check out the following resources and postings.
Take advantage of one of these volunteer opportunities. They pay big dividends in practical experience!
After-School Program Volunteers
The Seeds of Change after-school program, located at the Helen Arnold CLC, in Akron, is in need of volunteers to assist with grades K-2, or 4-6. The volunteer activities primarily include tutoring in reading or math, and assisting with snacks and programs including gym and crafts.
Schedule: 2:30-4:30, or 3:20-4:30, on Wednesdays and Thursdays
o Session 1 (Tutor grades K-2): Program runs through Wednesday, November 9th (no session on November 2nd)
o Session 2 (Tutor grades 4-6): Program runs through Thursday, November 3rd
If interested, please contact the program coordinator, Ms. Julie Randall, via email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone 330-665-4634.
Volunteer Tutors - Goodwill Industries of Akron
Are you interested in gaining experience tutoring and teaching youth and young adults 16-24? Would you like to volunteer at a well-respected local organization with national and international ties? Do you enjoy teaching, tutoring, and being a positive role model? Being a Goodwill Youth Services Tutor may be for you!
For more information or to apply, contact Andrea Riffle at email@example.com
SMART (Students Master's Academics in Real Time)
When: October 4-November 8, 2016 from 3:45-5:00 pm
Where: East CLC, Kenmore High School, and Buchtel CLC in the Akron Public Schools
- There will be 10-15 Junior and Senior students with disabilities at each high school
- Each high school will have APS Support Staff
- 1 Job Training Coordinator (JTC) (Intervention Specialist w/Transition to Work Endorsement)
- 1 Intervention Specialist
- 2 General Education Teachers
- APS Students use PLATO (online curriculum) for credit recovery in areas of English, math, science, and social studies
- Volunteers and staff will provide students with one-on-one or small group support including providing accommodations specific to IEPs (i.e., read-aloud, notes scribed)
- Volunteers and staff will offer strategies and tools appropriate to each individual student to help them to be more successful with the curriculum such as comprehension strategies, using graphic organizers, task analysis, etc.
Requirements: Volunteers must have (or must get) BCI background check and show proof of same
- Hand-on experience working with students in an urban district
- Experience to add to a resume
- Use APS staff as a reference
- Certificate with hours of completion
- Send an email of interest to Rae Lynn Daviso at firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of the following positions are listed on the Ohio Department of Education Web-Based Recruitment System. Others are listed on a district's website.
Contact the individual listed below (if any) for more information.
Applicants should send resumes to: email@example.com Attn: Danielle Artle
|School-age Staff (part-time)||
Previous experience working with children in a small group setting; knowledge of principles of child and youth development; strong communication skills; mature, reliable and dependable; professional. Must have high school diploma and work on receiving First Aid, Child Abuse, Communicable Disease, and CPR certifications.
|Shaw Jewish Community Center of Akron||
|Preschool Teacher, Head Start/Early Head Start||
Must hold 4-year college degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development and 2 years' demonstrated experience working with young children; must have valid State of Ohio driver's license and reliable transportation; computer literacy; criminal background checks conducted.
|Akron Summit Community Action, Inc.||
Akron Summit Community Action Inc.
|Teacher Assistant, Head Start/Early Head Start||
Completion of secondary education or equivalent with 6 months' experience in age-appropriate teaching field; must have or working toward an age-appropriate center-based Child Development Associate credential; valid State of Ohio driver's license and reliable transportation; computer literacy; criminal background checks conducted.
|Akron Summit Community Action Inc.||
Akron Summit Community Action Inc.