What every English student should know
Keep on top of your program
Go to My Akron, Students tab, Student Center, check for the following:
- Are your college and major information correct?
- Is your contact information correct (listed at bottom of page)? If not, edit for correction.
- If you've applied for graduation, you should see the progress of your application in the To Do box.
- Remember to check your DARS report -- go to My Akron and you'll see DARS -- this is where you can follow your progress toward graduation (see which requirements you've fulfilled and which you need to complete).
Course add/drop procedure
- View the add/drop guidelines and procedures at the Registrar's site.
Look for English Department Awards
- Submission guidelines are updated in January/February on the Scholarships page and are usually due in March.
Do an Internship
To take classes at another institution
If you do not obtain permission prior to taking the course, you may be denied credit for the course.
To transfer out of the College of Arts & Sciences
Apply for graduation
- To apply for graduation, go to My Akron, select Student Center, select My Academics, Select Apply for Graduation follow directions. You will receive an email confirming receipt of application.
- Remember to visit My Akron often to check the Graduation To Do List (located on right side of screen).
- If you apply after the deadline or need to change your plan code (major), you will need to contact the Dean's Office.
To avoid a $100 late fee, you must apply the semester before your graduation date.
English Department Undergraduate Contacts
Dr. Mary Biddinger
Undergraduate Honors Advisor
Dr. Patrick Chura
English Department Office
Thea Ledendecker, Administrative Assistant
Carol Szabat (English Composition queries)
Activities and annual events
Students in the English Department have the opportunity to explore their interests in English outside of the classroom through events, groups, and an undergraduate journal.
Students can find outlets for expression in
- our undergraduate, student-run journal Rubbertop Review
- The Literary Guild organization for students who share a common love for the written word
- Open Mic nights with the Upstart Crows
- The annual Shakespeare Festival
- a variety of literary readings and events open to the public
Keep an eye on our News and Events calendars on the English Department's home page.