Repository: University of Akron Archival Services, University of Akron, Polsky Building--LL10, Akron, OH 44325-1702. (330) 972-7670
Title: Louis Baus Canal Photograph Collection
Dates: approximately 1890-1933
Extent: 443 images, 1 journal, 1 inventory.
Abstract: Photographs (film negatives and glass negatives), the majority of which were taken by Baus, and some of which were acquired by him; one inventory, purported to be by Baus; and one journal by Baus.
Creator: Louis Baus
Access: Collection is open on-site for research. Some fragile items may need to be handled by the staff only.
Provenance: The University of Akron purchased Mr. Baus’ canal collection of photographic negatives from a private collector in 2004. The collection was digitized in 2006-2007.
Finding Aid prepared by: Richard Wisneski, December 2007
Preferred Citation: [Box Number, Folder Number], The Louis Baus Canal Photograph Collection (1865-1933), University of Akron Archival Services
Biographical Information: (adapted from a sketch written by Donn Rothenberg)
Louis Baus (1875-1949) was a photographer and, later in life, a staff writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Prior to 1910, he did studio work in Cleveland.
Widely known throughout Greater Cleveland in his active days, Baus was in his later years an arden member of the Great Lakes Historical Society, whose members devoted much time to collecting data and photographs on the history of shipping on the Great Lakes.
He travelled and photogaphed the old Ohio Canal over its entire length from Cleveland to Portsmouth. He made a notable collectoin of photographs of the old Ohio waterway. Baus also took and gathered a large collection of photographs.
A native Clevelander, Baus spent his boyhood in the old Broadway-Willson Avenue (now E. 55th Street) area where the family home was. He began his newspaper career in the days when photographers had to ride street cars to assignments and lug heavy glass photographic platses instead of film.
Scope and Content:
The Louis Baus Ohio Canal Photograph Collection consists of 423 images, of which 416 are 5" x 7" film negatives and seven are glass negatives. All are described by Baus. The majority of images were photographed by Baus between 1896 and 1933. A number of earlier images are also included, which were acquired by Baus from his predecessors. Found in this collection are images of canal boats, crew and passengers, as well as various locks, businesses and homes along the canalways. There are images connected to the Erie & Ohio Canalway, and connecting waterways, including the Pennsylvania & Ohio, Sandy-Beaver, Walhonding, and Hocking Valley canals, and Tuscarawas and Columbus Feeders. In addition to the images, an index of the collection, believed to be in Mr. Baus' own hand, provides a location and/or description and date for most images. The index is ordered geographically, beginning in Cleveland and proceeding southward.
Statement of Arrangement:
The original arrangement of the material was maintained during processing, for the most part. Visit The University of Akron Archival Services to access the original material.
Detailed Description: PDF document
Description Control: Description based on DACS.