News for faculty and staff
Employees earn degrees in August
Congratulations to the 10 University employees who earned undergraduate and graduate degrees as part of the Summer Class of 2015. They are:
- Daniel J. Bartley, police officer II, University Police Department, B.S. in Organizational Supervision.
- Jennifer L. Bozeka, visiting assistant professor of Curriculum and Instruction, Department of Curricular and Instructional Studies, Doctor of Philosophy.
- Elizabeth A. Estep, director of business operations-NCERCAMP, Office of Academic Affairs, B.S. in Organizational Supervision.
- Jonathan R. Monacelli, accompanist, School of Dance, Theatre & Arts Administration, Bachelor of Music.
- Hope Michelle Moore, senior lecturer, Department of Applied General and Technical Studies, Doctor of Philosophy.
- Lance D. Nelson, senior college lecturer, mathematics, Department of Mathematics, Doctor of Philosophy.
- Marilyn Sue Nibling, assistant lecturer, School of Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice.
- Kathleen M. Rex, administrative assistant sr., Office of Athletics, B.S. in Organizational Supervision.
- Susan M. White, administrative assistant, Student Conduct and Community Standards, Master of Arts in Education.
- Mary B. Williams, professor of office administration, Department of Business and Information Technology, Master of Public Administration.
Members of Akron and UA communities featured on ‘UA to Z’
The “UA to Z” radio show hosted by Larry Burns, vice president for advancement, along with Willy Kollman, associate director of alumni and government relations, airs Saturdays from 10 to 11 a.m. on 1590 WAKR-AM.
Brand toolbox includes refreshed PowerPoint, stationery and other goodies
The Department of University Communications and Marketing has revised UA’s brand standards and refreshed many visual elements to reflect the designation of The University of Akron as Ohio’s Polytechnic University.
Items recently added to the toolbox include:
- Microsoft Word letterhead templates for both Polytechnic and University Seal branded stationery.
- PowerPoint templates for all academic colleges, UA sites and University Libraries.
Looking for something? Send a note to email@example.com.
► Related: UA's polytechnic site
Zook Hall to reopen in April
Construction on Zook Hall, home of the College of Education, is on track for completion by February 2016. With the installation of furniture and technology, it is expected that the newly renovated building will be occupied by faculty, staff and students by April 2016, reports Capital Planning and Facilities Management.
The renovation project on the 52-year-old Zook Hall first began in May 2014 with the construction of temporary space for the college on the third floor of Central Hower STEM High School. The college was relocated to this temporary “swing” space prior to the start of the fall semester.
Construction began on a completely new Zook Hall within its existing envelope following interior demolition and hazardous material abatement. The state-of-the-art facility now orients the building around a central core — providing faculty, staff and students with a variety of social and individual and group study spaces. A three-story glass addition on the north side of the façade will showcase specialized teaching laboratories. A unique outdoor terrace, open to all, will be located just outside the third floor. (Both features are seen prominently in the artist's rendering above. Seen in the picture above, taken July 15, is the north side of the facade under construction.)