Selected Works - bepress: https://works.bepress.com/melanie-mcgurr/
Areas of Responsibility:
- Directs the work of 5 faculty librarians and 8 support staff who have the responsibility for library acquisitions, bibliographic services, management of electronic resources, maintenance of library systems and website, and installation and support of public and staff computing equipment.
- Ensures that the organization, management, and skill levels of Electronic Services personnel evolve to meet new challenges, including innovative description and subject analysis, support of rapidly expanding digital collections, development of robust user interfaces, and contributions to consortia.
- Collaboratively formulates access and user-interface models for the functional areas of cataloging, systems, electronic resource management, and user interfaces.
- Inspires service innovation and the creative use of technology in technical processing operations and initiatives that enhance access to content.
- Serves as an advocate and as a resource person for innovative tools and technologies that enhance access for users.
Melanie McGurr is Head of Electronic Services at the University of Akron. She previously worked as both Interim Chief Medical Librarian and Assistant Director of Content Strategies at the Northeast Ohio Medical University, Coordinator of Authority Control and Database Maintenance at the Ohio State University, and Coordinator of Technical Services at Urbana University. She served on committee and interest groups for ALCTS, as a planning committee member for ALAO, and on a number of university and library committees throughout her career. Melanie taught college level English for eight years before becoming a librarian and received both her M.L.I.S. and Ph.D. in English Literature from Kent State University.
Faculty Website: https://works.bepress.com/melanie-mcgurr/
McGurr CV 2019.docx
Courses Teaching This Semester:
Honors Colloquia Humanities 002 “A Cultural History of the British Country House.”