The Department of Chemistry annual awards scholarships to undergraduate Chemistry and Biochemistry majors. If you are interested in being considered, please fill out the application form below and email the completed form by the due date – March 7, 2014. Scholarship recipients will be notified by email no later than March 31, 2014.
Typically the department awards in excess of $90,000 each year in student scholarships. The following list gives the title and description of each award:
The Dr. Harold G. Cassidy Chemistry Endowment Fund was established in 1997 in memory of Dr. Harold G. Cassidy by his wife, Kathryn C. Cassidy. Dr. Harold G. Cassidy attended The University of Akron before graduating from Oberlin College. He went on to receive his Ph.D. from Yale in 1939. During his lifetime, Dr. Cassidy's demonstrated commitment to education will be remembered by the many lives he touched.
John Franklin Coleman was born in the North Hill neighborhood of Akron, the younger of two sons of a Firestone rubber worker and former schoolteacher. Orphaned at the age of 14, Dr. Coleman managed to attain the Eagle Scout rank in the Boy Scouts of America, graduated valedictorian from North High School, and obtained a full scholarship from the Akron Rubber Group in polymer studies to The University of Akron. At the University, he joined the chemical honorary fraternity, Alpha Chi Sigma, and was in the Air Force ROTC program. In 1960, he received the Chemistry Achievement Award from the Akron Section of The American Chemical Society and graduated with distinction from the University, earning a major in organic and a minor in inorganic chemistry. After graduation, Dr. Coleman was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Air Force in June 1961 and received a teaching graduate fellowship from The National Institutes of Health at The University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana where he obtained a MS in 1963 and Ph.D. in 1966. Dr. Coleman returned to the Air Force, serving in research at the Wright Air Development Center for the Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.
Dr. Coleman’s professional career continued at BFGoodrich Company where he quickly succeeded as a manager. Having excellent people skills, he managed a group of 20 professional scientists, engineers and technicians engaged in the research and development of new monomers and polymers. Here, Dr. Coleman invented for Goodrich the adhesive product, Telene. Dr. Coleman’s accomplishments include the publication of seven papers, five invited presentations, 35 internal research reports, and listing in "Who’s Who in the Midwest," "Community Leaders of America," "Who’s Who in Technology Today," and "American Men and Women in Science." After 17 years at Goodrich, Dr. Coleman became a general manager of the Catalyst Systems Division and Director of Technology at U.S. Chemical and Plastics Company, Inc. At the time of his death in 1992, at the age of 52, he was returned to research as Senior Chemist for Mameco International, Inc. a RPM Company working with various products including rust additives.
Dr. Coleman was married to Cynthia Louise Maglione (‘60) whom he met at The University of Akron and the father of three children, Regina A. Milan (’87), Victoria L. Ellinger (’89), and John Anthony Coleman, who attends Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dr. Coleman was a gentleman and a family man; a people person honored for his intelligence, creativity, organization skills, and above all well respected for his worth. He was a good man and will always be sorely missed by his family and friends.
This endowed fund was established by Lester E. ('52) and Kathleen A. Coleman in 1995 to assist deserving students pursuing graduate studies in the Department of Chemistry. Fellowships are to be awarded to deserving student scholars who have evidence of financial need. Recipients will be chosen by the Department of Chemistry and coordinated by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
The Dr. and Mrs. James D. D’Ianni Chemistry Endowment was established in 1995 by Dr. James D. D’Ianni in recognition of his undergraduate years at The University of Akron and sustained affiliation with the Department of Chemistry in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences.
The endowment will assist the Department of Chemistry’s burgeoning research initiatives by providing a source of funding for equipment and matching funds for research grants. The endowment will also support graduate student assistantships in chemistry and scholarships for the most meritorious undergraduate students, on the basis of need, who are seeking a degree in chemistry.
Dr. D’Ianni received a B.S. in Chemistry from The University of Akron and a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, and later became the Director of Research for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. He taught evening courses for The University of Akron’s Department of Chemistry, was a member of The University of Akron’s graduate school advisory committee, and participated on many local and national organizations including serving as president of the American Chemical Society and the advisory board of the National Academy of Sciences. Dr. D’Ianni’s outstanding contributions to chemistry earned him over 17 patents and the listing as a top 100 contributor to rubber literature.
This endowed fund was established by the Exxon Education Foundation for the purpose of providing financial assistance to junior or senior students in the Department of Chemistry. The selection of recipients is made by the faculty committee within the Department of Chemistry on the basis of academic achievement and financial need.
This annual fellowship was established in 1998 by Flexsys America L.P., the largest worldwide producer of chemicals for the rubber industry. Flexsys, whose regional headquarters for the Americas is located in Northeast Ohio, wishes to demonstrate its strong commitment to academic excellence at the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences' Department of Chemistry. This fund provides support to one or more graduate students in organic chemistry. The students will receive annual grants toward their educational expenses above and beyond tuition and fee expenses. The specific purpose of this fund is to attract highly qualified students into the Ph.D. program in organic chemistry. Selections will be made by chair of the Department of Chemistry and approved by the Flexsys management team, based on scholastic achievement, superior character, and leadership. The funded students will have the opportunity to participate in a summer internship at Flexsys with the prior approval of the Flexsys management team.
The Owen M. Grant Memorial Fellowship was established in 1994 by family and friends in honor and memory of Owen M. Grant. The goal of the annual grant is to assist graduate students in the Department of Chemistry who are interested in the development and research of biomedical polymers.
This endowed scholarship was established in honor of the selection of Emanuel Gurin, Class of 1935, as a 1983 Honored Alumnus of the University and for Mrs. Emanuel Gurin (Rose Tepper). It is awarded to students pursuing degrees in chemistry. Recipients are selected by the University Scholarship Committee on the basis of academic achievement and need.
This award provides scholarship assistance to a chemistry student with a high scholastic average. The annual award amount is determined by the University Scholarship Committee.
Scholarships in varying amounts are made to promising students in the field of chemistry who might otherwise find it impossible to continue their education
This endowed scholarship was established by a gift from Dr. Franklin Strain. Dr. Strain received degrees from Ottawa University and the University of Kansas. He was Director of Research for the Barberton Laboratories of PPG Industries for 20 years. Dr. Strain served on the Advisory Committee of the Graduate School at the University of Akron. He was concerned with recruiting and encouraging outstanding graduate students in Chemistry. The Dr. Franklin Strain Memorial Graduate Chemistry Scholarship is to be awarded to an outstanding graduate Chemistry student with a special interest in Organic Chemistry.
Dr. William R. Murphy, Jr. graduated from the University of Akron in 1949 with a B.S in Chemistry. Following a brief stint as a chemist at Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, he attended the George Washing University Medical School. After his residency he started his practice in Internal Medicine, sharing an office across the street from Akron City Hospital with his brother Dr. John Murphy. The brothers retired in 1992 after more than 35 years of compassionate care for their patients. Dr. William R. Murphy, Jr. passed away in July 2002 after a long and heroic battle with cancer. The family of Dr. Murphy established the scholarship in appreciation of the impact he had on their lives.
The Lubrizol Corporation Scholarship in Chemistry is annually awarded to three deserving sophomores, juniors, or seniors majoring in Chemistry. Candidate selection will be made by a faculty committee within the Department of Chemistry for final approval by the Financial Aid Office. The selection will be based primarily on scholastic achievement. Recipients will also exhibit strong leadership qualities and good citizenship. These funds will be applied exclusively to the costs of tuition.
The scholarship is endowed to commemorate Ernest E. McClellan and is awarded to a student pursuing a BS degree in Chemistry.
The scholarship was established to commemorate the life-long career of Mr. Robinson. Arthur L. “Robbie” Robinson was born in 1920 in Greentown, Ohio. He was a 1938 graduate of Akron’s Garfield High School. His father passed away when he was 17. He paid his way through college by working nights at one of the local BF Goodrich plants. He attended the University of Akron and was one of 14 students to graduate with a BS in Chemistry in 1942. Mr. Robinson began his career as a lab chemist at BF Goodrich. He eventually became chief chemist at the BF Goodrich facility in Texas. He returned to Akron and became chief chemist. In 1949 he took a position with Harwick Standard Chemical Company. He became Vice President in Illinois. He returned to Akron and eventually became Executive Vice President and then President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors at Harwick. He retired n 1986. He was a life-long advocate of the benefits of higher education and always encouraged others to pursue higher education.
The G. E. Wilson and M. P. Wilson Award was established in 2003 to provide opportunities to graduate students doing NMR research in the Department of Chemistry at The University of Akron. Friends and family of G. Edwin Wilson created this award to honor and remember the impact he had on the lives of others.
Dr. Wilson was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, moved to New Jersey with his parents and graduated from Bridgeton High School in 1957. He received a B.S. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1961 and a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois in 1964. As a professor of chemistry and graduate mentor, Dr. Wilson touched the lives of students at the Polytechnic Institute of New York, Clarkson University, Rockefeller University, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and Washington University in Saint Louis.
In 1984 Dr. Wilson came to The University of Akron and assumed the position as Chairman of the Department of Chemistry. He continued in this role until 1996. During his tenure as Chairman, Dr. Wilson affected the transformation of the Chemistry Department from one that was small and research inactive and awarded mainly masters degrees, into one that grants primarily doctoral degrees, enjoys federal grant support, and a recognition of excellence. He was instrumental in establishing a world-class nuclear magnetic resonance laboratory at the University. Throughout his lifetime, Dr. Wilson dedicated himself to helping others through biochemical research. When he retired from the University in 2000, he was the Associate Provost for Research. Dr. Wilson served as an elected member of the Governing Board for the Council for Chemical Research and as a member of the MIT Educational Council. After his retirement, he continued to dedicate his time to mentoring students and public service, until he passed away at age 64, on December 10, 2003 at his home in Medina. His illness was brief, intense and, as was his style, approached with great courage.
Dr. Wilson was internationally known through his lectures, research, publications and participation in national and international professional organizations. He was married for over 42 years to his wife Marcia, and is also survived by children Kristine Susan Beard and husband, Scott of Canton; Karin Elaine Rilley and husband, Michael of Columbus; Jennifer Lynn Beaven and husband, Matthew of Akron; and Kiersten Beth Wilson of Medina. He is also survived by grandchildren, Sean Wilson and Zachary Paul Rilley, and Nicholas William and Connor Michael Beaven.
The G. E. Wilson and M. P. Wilson Award will provide financial assistance to graduate students in the Department of Chemistry at The University of Akron engaged in NMR research. Each year, a committee of faculty members in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Department of Chemistry will select student recipients. The award will be used to provide a supplement to the standard graduate student stipend. Selection of the awardees will be based on merit and the students’ potential to make significant contributions to science through their work.
The Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe Graduate Fellowship in Chemistry was created in 2005 through the generosity of Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe, to assist deserving students pursuing graduate studies in the Department of Chemistry.
Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe was a member of The University of Akron Department of Chemistry faculty from 1942 to 1956. While working with The University of Akron, Dr. Wolfe spent 31 months serving his country in World War II. He went on to work with Akron City Hospital from 1956 to 1960 and General Tire from 1960 to 1972. He received his undergraduate degree and Ph.D. from The Ohio State University.
As a chemist who has made contributions in academia, health, business and service to his country, Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe demonstrates the value of higher education in the creation of new knowledge, economic growth, and the fulfillment of human potential. Through Dr. Wolfe’s meaningful investment in higher education, The Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe Graduate Fellowship in Chemistry will offer talented students the resources needed to complete their graduate studies in chemistry.
Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe fellows must be students of the Department of Chemistry and in good academic standing at The University of Akron. The Department of Chemistry will select The Dr. Alvin C. Wolfe Fellowship recipients based on academic merit.
The Dr. Henry C. and Mrs. Jean Stevens Chemistry Fellowship was established in 2006 by Drs. Henry C. and Jean Stevens. Henry Stevens, an industrial scientist and adjunct faculty member in the Department of Chemistry, has 39 patents to his name and has served The University of Akron for over 30 years.
In 2003, Dr. Stevens was recognized by the University with the Arts and Sciences Chairs’ Award for Adjunct Faculty Service. Many of the students Dr. Stevens taught have gone on to become leaders in their fields. Dr. Stevens’ experience as an industrial scientist, senior supervisor, and manager of university research and development with PPG Industries, helped him to teach students “science in the world outside” which brings out the best abilities of his students.
Henry and Jean Stevens wish to demonstrate their strong commitment to academic excellence at the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Department of Chemistry. The Dr. Henry C. Stevens and Mrs. Jean Stevens Chemistry Fellowship provides support to one or more graduate students in chemistry. The student will receive a grant toward their educational expenses above and beyond tuition and fee expenses. The specific purpose of the Fellowship is to attract highly qualified students into the Ph.D. program in chemistry. Selections will be made by the chair of the Department of Chemistry and approved by Drs. Stevens, based on scholastic achievement, superior character, and leadership. The funded students will have the opportunity to meet with Henry and Jean Stevens.
The Dr. Leora E. Straka Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry was established in 2001 through the estate of Dr. Straka. A chemical research librarian for 37 years, Dr. Straka initiated and directed the Technical Information Center for the Research Division of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
The intent of The Dr. Leora E. Straka Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry is to assist undergraduate female students who have declared a major in the field of chemistry and who have demonstrated both highly satisfactory scholastic achievement and an established need for financial assistance. The grant will cover tuition, fees, books, room and board, all or in part. The Scholarship Committee of The University of Akron will choose the appropriate recipients for this award.
This endowment fund, established in 1983 under the will of Mrs. Gertrude A. Lancaster of Akron, a devoted friend of the University, provides tuition support for deserving students majoring in chemistry. Awards are made by the Department of Chemistry.