Same expert faculty as in-person classes
About the program
Complete the only MTax program in the region — in as few as 15 months.
The Master of Taxation (MTax) Direct program is a professional degree in the College of Business Administration (CBA) School of Accountancy. It provides intensive training for individuals planning to enter the field, and for experienced accountants and attorneys.
Gain conceptual, technical and professional knowledge that will enable you to examine and understand many aspects of the tax structure. The curriculum focuses on federal and state taxation, tax research, communication skills and tax planning.
Admission to MTax Direct requires an undergraduate degree in accounting or a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree. If you lack either degree, you may become eligible for admission by successfully completing two foundation courses online:
- Financial Accounting (6200:601) and
- Federal Taxation (6200:627) or Business Entity Taxation (6200:531)
- J.D. applicants without prior coursework in tax and accounting are advised to take these courses prior to starting the program.
While attorneys and CPAs do not need to submit a GMAT score, other applicants must achieve a satisfactory GMAT score (500 or better is preferred) for admission. Applicants may substitute a GRE, LSAT, PCAT or MCAT score for the GMAT.
Test waivers may be granted for students holding an advanced degree, or for those with three or more years of work experience after the conferral of a bachelor's degree. Contact us to learn more about the waiver request process.
In addition to the test scores or waiver, other admission requirements include:
- two letters of recommendation
- statement of purpose
- Convenience — Sessions are interactive and delivered live through a laptop or mobile device, and may be recorded for later viewing. Note: This program requires some synchronous courses.
- Expert Instructors — Learn from highly experienced CPAs and attorneys with expertise in tax.
- Practical Emphasis — The program is practice-oriented, offering in-depth knowledge that can be applied immediately.
- Reputation — For more than 30 years, we have enjoyed a reputation for excellence among employers, who compete for our graduates.
- Flexibility — The program accommodates the schedules of tax professionals and is customizable to focus on specialized areas.
- Efficient — Complete the program in as few as 15 months.
- Request information.
- Learn more about UAkron Online.
- If you have questions about the program, contact the CBA graduate advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-7043.
- If you have questions about the admissions process, write to email@example.com or call 330-972-6658.