PARTNERS OF EJ THOMAS HALL
In May 2017, the partnership was extended, and UA with Playhouse Square announced the new lineup of Broadway musicals coming to E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall for 2017-18.
"Without a doubt, Playhouse Square brought a Broadway Series to E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall that the Greater Akron community wanted to see," said Nathan Mortimer, vice president for finance and administration/CFO, in reference to the just-concluded 2016-17 season. "That is evidenced in the attendance this year. We are truly excited that our relationship will continue, and we look forward to having Playhouse Square deliver a very high quality Broadway Series at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall next year and many years after."
The 2017-18 season welcomes:
- "Kinky Boots," Oct. 10-11, 2017: Broadway’s huge-hearted, high-heeled hit with songs by Grammy and Tony winning pop icon Cyndi Lauper.
- "Dirty Dancing," Nov. 7-8, 2017: An unprecedented live experience, exploding with heart-pounding music, passionate romance and sensational dancing.
- "A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder," April 10-11, 2018: The story of Monty, an heir to a family fortune who sets out to jump the line of succession by — you guessed it — eliminating the eight relatives (all played by one fearless man) who stand in his way.
- "Jersey Boys," May 1-2, 2018: Go behind the music and inside the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons in the Tony Award-winning, true-life musical.
"We’re very proud of the season and proud of our relationship," said Gina Vernaci, executive producer for Playhouse Square in Cleveland, on Ohio.com. (Playhouse Square is presenting the Broadway in Akron series for the third season.) "We’re always the sum of our parts and the great news is that with the support from the University, and the support from the Civic and Playhouse Square, we’re a strong team." (The Akron Civic Theatre runs the E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall Box Office.)
Season tickets are available by visiting the E.J. Thomas Hall website, or calling the Ticket Office at 330-253-2488. Packages start at $40 and guarantee your seats for all four shows.
By the numbers:
- Subscriptions for the 2015-16 season increased 24 percent over the previous season, 2014-15.
- Subscriptions for 2016-17 increased 57 percent over the prior year.
- "RENT" (April 4-5, 2017) was the most attended performance in seven seasons of Broadway in Akron, selling out both shows.
Other non-Broadway performances scheduled for E.J. Thomas Hall in 2017-18 include:
- Akron Symphony,
- Tuesday Musical Association,
- performances by musical students from The University of Akron, and
- other University-related programs.
Additional partners include